cool video tips site
11 posts
10 users
12k+ views
crunchy
May 2, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
since im totally obsessive about improving every detail of my skiing and rarely feel like im skiing really good, even tho Ive had friends tell me it looks like Im skiing good when im feeling like im not, I always love to check out good ski tips site. I just ran across one, thats pretty cool, and has nice videos and tips.

http://www.complete-skier.com/Technique/home/

the tips for skiing in wind packed snow is cool, which canaan valley area is prone to with the winds they get during most storms it seems. and the one legged skiing thing is pretty cool too. when i took a lesson at alta this year, the instructor had me do something similar to that which was to make turns using mostly the uphill ski and un-weighting the downhill ski. very weird feeling!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
May 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
This apparently UK site is a great find, wonderful instruction. Thanks for sharing!
The Colonel
SwissMountain
July 6, 2007
Member since 05/18/2007 🔗
68 posts
In my opinion the UK ski organization have one of the worst ski instructor certification level in Europe. Just be careful about it. Not everything might work with everyone. Everyone has different needs and also need to work on different aspects of a movement. I find it difficult to make it as simple as it sounds and looks.

As a ski school director, I will advice everyone to take a private ski lesson at your local ski resort including information you gather on the web.
comprex
July 6, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
 Quote:
when i took a lesson at alta this year, the instructor had me do something similar to that which was to make turns using mostly the uphill ski and un-weighting the downhill ski. very weird feeling!

Sounds like they were teaching you OLR, Outside Leg Release.

Good stuff, very good on ice.
Crush
July 6, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
hmmmm - when i did the itc @ liberty (i honestly thought i could be a ski instructor - ha;shah;rite !) everybody did "the assessment" that told you if your were a thinker, looker, or feeler (i'm a feeler, but i am pretty good looking lol) so i guess u are a thinker.

the tips were good, not my style but sounded right. nice to hear it coming from the other direction.

i do really try, even on ice, to ski two-footed, tho ... b/c i know how to make both of 'em carve together, and that load-balances your weight+turning forces across two edges ... an edge can only support so much force on any kind of snow before it cuts loose and does not bite.

the one-footed thing is *very* important as it teaches you to use your inside and outside edges, as the above. and it's damn handy for a recovery!!!

.. so cool!

Top Skier
February 11, 2008
Member since 02/11/2008 🔗
1 posts
Hi Crunchy, thanks for the cool link!!!
comprex
September 20, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
habit
June 8, 2010
Member since 06/1/2010 🔗
5 posts
The May 2010 edition, written by Kelly, has some great links to cool bug photos,don't forget to check out the extras for the issue on the website.
David
June 8, 2010
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Wow, this is an old thread. Chaga used to have a fixed heel? I can't say I remember the day?? wink
fishnski
June 8, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Crunchy was/still a hippie at heart & his goal was to ski free..so he moved over to Whitegrass & discovered the Mountain of youth...CHAGA!!
djop
November 3, 2011
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts
smooth skiing but the very powerful transition at 0:20-0:27 /really/ tweaked my brain:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150295462107358

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.