K2 PEs $207 on steepandcheap.com
16 posts
6 users
9k+ views
skier219
April 30, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Awesome ski -- grab 'em while they last!!
crunchy
April 30, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
$20 more when i got em from SAC in march, but still a damn good price. a good tool to have in your quiver \:\)

btw, I order a fair amount of stuff from SAC, and they ship so damn fast that its on my doorstep before I complete the transaction \:\) Craig, did you ever get them to fix the price issue with those Mt Bakers?
skier219
April 30, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
They said they would work something out for me, but I decided not to get them after all. 181cm was going to be short for that type of ski (185-188cm would have been ideal). Anyhow, it worked out OK because I just bought another pair of PEs! I will stash them away in their wrappers until I or someone else needs them. I like the skis so much I felt like $207 was impossible to pass up. Anybody looking for a fun not-too-wide all-mtn fat ski that can do it all should jump on these. They would be especially good for teens looking for park/bump/all-mtn skis. The army-guy graphics are kind of amusing.
jimmy
April 30, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
The recommended lengths seem long to me. I'm 5'7" 170# and they're saying 180cm but if in doubt go shorter???? What to do?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
crunchy
April 30, 2007
596 posts
well, i heard that some k2's run a few cm's longer than the spec'd sizes. not sure if thats accurate or not because ive never measured em myself. unfortunately the PE's are gone now tho. but if you are in the market for new planks, get the desktop alert thing for SAC so you know the second a new item pops up \:\)
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
April 30, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
gone again, not that I'm interested. Jimmy - I thought you were a tele-man now, are you looking to go brokeheel mountain on the PEs ? For XC aspect of tele, I would think longer is better, but what do I know. What's more important to you?
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
April 30, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
 Originally Posted By: crunchy
well, i heard that some k2's run a few cm's longer than the spec'd sizes. not sure if thats accurate or not because ive never measured em myself. unfortunately the PE's are gone now tho. but if you are in the market for new planks, get the desktop alert thing for SAC so you know the second a new item pops up \:\)

oh, there is some nut over on epic that posted an extensive measurement analysis of the PE. i think if you search for Public Enemy and Kharma you might find it \:D

ok, lunch is over, back to work.
jimmy
April 30, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Ya i refresshhed the page and now they're selling camp stoves. Dave I'm still cross dressing hee, also still trying to figure out this new forum dealio where'd the smiley faces etc. go??????, wasn't sure what bindings i'd put on em, Bushwacher and skier219 both wrote good reviews of these over on epic. Figured these would be good for Eastern Freshies and better than my Atomics for trips west. This deal seemed like a steal.
skier219
April 30, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I think the guidelines on SAC were general and probably not relevant (they seem long). The PEs do ski a lot shorter than their quoted length on hard snow, but ski longer than the quoted length on soft snow. Definitely a ski with many personalities. I like the 179cm at 6'1" and 185lb. At your height/weight Jimmy, I'd say 174cm if you want them for big-mountain powder use, or 169cm for all-mtn resort use. Of course, now they are listing bib bike shorts, so never mind! (but they would complement your spring ski apparel quite well).
crunchy
April 30, 2007
596 posts
and they are baaaack! \:\) altho i guess by the time most read this, they will be gone \:\(
David
April 30, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: crunchy
and they are baaaack! \:\) altho i guess by the time most read this, they will be gone \:\(

What I wouldn't do to have an extra $207.00 laying around!!!
skier219
April 30, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
 Originally Posted By: David

Do it. Do it.
tromano
April 30, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Not gonna do it. I have Nordica Beasts in 188CM basically a 92mm waits twintip. Still PE is a great ski I hear.
David
April 30, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
 Originally Posted By: David

Do it. Do it.

I don't give into peer pressure that easily!! Besides, I think my orginal statement should have been: "If I had 207.00 at all, I might consider buying them."
crunchy
April 30, 2007
596 posts
don't know about the beasts, but I demo'd some Hot Rod Top Fuels this season and they were beasts for sure. muscled right thru deep crud and chopped up powder and great on corduroy too. thinner waist and not a twin tho.

oh, about the PE's. The Ptex tops get gnarled up pretty easily. Bad choice of top material, wtf k2?! \:\)
skier219
April 30, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
My understanding is that they chose ptex because it was fairly tough in general (say compared to a glossy resin/gelcoat topsheet that scratches easily). The PE topsheet edges can get chewed up by the steel edges though, especially when the skis are new and that topsheet corner is sharp. It's a good idea to knock down the sharp corner on the topsheet with a file; I did it after the skis were beat on, but next time I would do it before skiing them the first time!

Believe it or not, I skied the PEs for weeks with nary a scratch. Then one day when it was super slushy at the end of March, I banged the skis together every time I got on the lift to clear the slush off (it was heavy). When I got home, the topsheet edges looked like mozzarella! Luckily, the file knocked off all the strings and the skis look OK again.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?