what are your non-skiing weekend plans?
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
crunchy
April 21, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
i bailed on the northeast thing because of fear of a long roadtrip for the soggy snow conditions i heard about. So the season ending reality is finally setting in. So in relation to the Colonel's 'skiing where' thread, what are your non skiing plans on this extra fine weather weekend?

for me on the docket is detailing car, ride motorcycle (skyline drive), and bass fish at my buddies pond in hillsboro. Oh, and ill probably watch this killer high-def video i downloaded that someone shot in little cottonwood backcountry from the powder day last thursday another 50 times im sure
SkiBumMSP
April 21, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

i bailed on the northeast thing because of fear of a long roadtrip for the soggy snow conditions i heard about. So the season ending reality is finally setting in. So in relation to the Colonel's 'skiing where' thread, what are your non skiing plans on this extra fine weather weekend?

Pretty much the same thing for me. I was very tempted to at least try that Belleayre place in New York at a minimum. I just decided that I just did not want to drive all that way, only to find the conditions ended up being marginal, despite the 18+ inches they reportedly recieved this past week. It would've been sweet to get that one last weekend of skiing in before it is all said and done. If I wasn't going to San Francisco next week, I'd probably would've considered a quick jaunt out west to Utah or something.

Well, anyway, for me, it'll be the typical crap that needs to be done around the house, such as mowing the lawn, and such. With the very nice weather that we are finally getting around here, I may even for a nice hike along the Rappahannock tomorrow. I do need to go "shed shopping" to find something to replace this dilapidated shed in my back yard. To be honest, I am actually surprised the thing did not blow over in that storm we had this past week.

Also to add. I guess there is always Kings Dominion, which is only about 1/2 hour drive away for me. It seems the only white hills I'll be seeing until December are those on the Rebel Yell roller coaster.
fishnski
April 21, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Don't despair..South America should be rockin in a couple of months ..You Headin South Ski Junky/Crunchy?...Me..I'm done with my Spring cleanup(We are a month early in SE NC) So tommorow I'm Headin to Masonboro Inlet Rock Jetties To Jig up a Bunch of 1 to 2 pound(Best eating size) Bluefish to grill up for dinner..But for lunch I'm pulling the Boat up to the Blue Water Grill For the Crab Dip & Flounder Platter ...If it wasn't for this Bomb ass NC Coast I'd be liven in Utah!....No more Yankees allowed
skier219
April 21, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I love those little Blues -- we used to call them "Snapper Blues" when I was a kid in Connecticut. We'd catch them by the dozens when the tide came in. I caught three larger Blues last spring off the beach in Corolla, about 18-20" long, and they were getting too big to taste good, but I cooked them up anyhow! I hope we can get down to the OBX for some fishing soon, I have fun down there.

Let's see, my weekend agenda:

Mow the lawn (done), install roof rack on my new car (done -- a little late for ski season!), build ski storage rack in my closet upstairs (done), bring irrigation system online (tomorrow), aerate lawn (tomorrow), and do some maintenance on tractor (tomorrow).

I am sure missing skiing, but I had a nice time parked in my hammock with beer and peanuts this evening, which was a good reminder that other stuff is enjoyable too. The weather was amazing today.
SkiBumMSP
April 22, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I just dropped $1,200 for a new 8 x 12.5 foot shed that I am starting to just stake out where I want it to go. Ended up spending another $230 for the lumber and supplies to build a platform onto which to erect the shed. The thing is a friggan erector set! Oh what fun I got to look forward to over the next couple weeks as I get this thing put up (I hope the damn weather now cooperates)! Well, I guess tomorrow, after work, start digging the holes into which to put the footings/post onto which the platform will be constructed. At least it'll be nice, with the vinyl and powder-coated metal frame. This thing is virtually indestructible. Yeah, I could've spent less and got one of those wooden ones, but I wanted something that is practically maintenance free (don't need to repaint every couple years, for example) and will last a long time.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 22, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Yesterday, got a new Outback to replace my old Outback. Old one was working fine w. 120,000 mles and not costing me any money. My wife convinced me that it was a good time to replace it before it started costing money.

Today I did the first bike trail ride of the year. W & OD trail from Rt. 28 crossing to the end in Purcellville and return. It was hot. No shade because the leaves are just beginning to come out and I am not acclimated to heat yet. The end of the ride for me always involves a trip to the Old Dominion Brewpub, which is far easier to find from the trail than from the road. I had 3 pints, my usual, then rode the final 1.5 miles to my car and went home. Life is good.
crunchy
April 22, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Quote:

The end of the ride for me always involves a trip to the Old Dominion Brewpub, which is far easier to find from the trail than from the road. I had 3 pints, my usual, then rode the final 1.5 miles to my car and went home. Life is good.

sweet, good to hear its still open. I heard different stories about them shutting down because they were bought by coastal brewing co.? (owned by Anheuser-Busch) As long as they don't stop making Oakbarrel Stout I'll be fine

Sweet weekend tho! Went bass fishin yesterday in my buddies pond in hillsboro, spent 6 hours detailing my car early today.. full on treatment with clay bar, swirl mark remover with yellow cutting pad, and a few coats of polish with the black pad. Then went for a ride on the motorcycle for my recommended daily allowance of adrenalin rush

Nice shed Skibum. I was checking out sheds like that a few years ago for a workshop when i was building my chopper, but ended up getting one of those cheapass "tinfoil" ones and never ended up finishing putting it together cause it was such a peice of crap, and just built my bike in the basement
kwillg6
April 23, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Denis, At 120k your outback was just broken in. My son has my old one down at Lejune and it has about 250k and still runs great abeit a little rough on the exterior. I was up in the valley yesterday and mowed the grass at our place out at Bonner. Almost thought of hiking and making turns with all the snow on upper and lower thunder. The drop was still covered as well. They had a he11 of a lot of snow last monday night. Still piles and drifts everywhere even with the 75 degree bluebird weather.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.