CO tripreport posted for JimK
7 posts
7 users
3k+ views
tromano
April 16, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
This stoke is being posted on behalf of JimK who just got back from CO and saw some sweet conditions!!!

From JimK, taken 4/10/07 at Keystone CO, 15" of new snow on first ski day of trip, that's me on Elk Run in The Outback section of Mtn. Midwinter conditions, day time temps up on mtn about 25 degs.

Keystone has three mtns, main or Dercum, North Peak and the Outback. This is view of middle mtn (North Peak) looking back at Dercum. Main base area is on other side of Dercum. We took a pair of back to back gondolas to get to North Peak and believe this is on a nice steep blue called Last Alamo taken 4/11/07.

This is my 16 yr old son at about 12,000'. We had to hike/skate about 300/400 yrds above the highest lift at Keystone's Outback to get to this spot. To left is North Bowl, to right is South Bowl. We jumped into south bowl. It was not too tough. Lot of hard blue and easy black terrain at Keystone. Shot taken on 4/11/07

Keystone had two big terrain parks side by side. This shot taken on 4/12/07. The one on left with 3 story tall hits was being readied for a pro competition the next two days. You could tell the pros as they walked around the base area - had a certain look & swagger to them and all under about age 23.

We didn't ski Arapahoe Basin, but drove by it on way from Keystone to Loveland on morning of 4/13/07. The cannons were booming due to lots of snow in month of April. Believe steep terrain on right (Pav...) is where they had a rare fatal inbounds avalanche about two years ago. That blue Magnum was our rental car. Looked cool, but I wasn't too impressed with the drive, but a few minutes later it got us over the continental divide at Loveland Pass about 12,000'.

This is my youngest daughter just before we skied down from Loveland's highest point (12,900') at summit of chair 9. The terrain up there is like the moon. It was not that steep, but can be difficult because snow is not groomed up there. Was wind packed pretty nice for our visit on 4/13/07. We had snow showers for much of day.

My two youngest kids at the end of our day at Loveland, 4/13/07. We had a great four days in CO. Temps in the mtns never rose above about 30-35 degs. Who said it was April??
Son had just skied the run under chair 1 and the one to the lookers left of it. These two are legit blacks and start near the ridgeline seen above. This is the same kid who skied Extrovert for first time this Feb, then skied it 10 times in a row one afternoon in March. He wants some bump skis in about 170cms for next season, anybody have a good recommendation?
crunchy
April 16, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
saweeet! looks pretty crowded too

oh and thanks for making me jones even harder for one last run this season.
David
April 16, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Sweet trip report. Looks like some AWESOME skiing in April. Global warming sure is taking a toll on skiing this year!

Quote:

saweeet! looks pretty crowded too

Crowded isn't even the word for it. He must have waited atleast 15-20 mins in each liftline. That must have made it almost not worth going....
Scott - DCSki Editor
April 17, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Soooo jealous!

<Big sigh>
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 17, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
THANKS FOR POSTING PHOTOS TIM. IN FALL I WILL SUBMIT FULL STORY TO SCOTT ON KEYSTONE WITH MORE PICS. GREAT FAMILY MTN, TONS OF CRUISING TRAILS, BUT ALSO DIVERSE, UNDERAPPRECIATED & CROWD FREE ADVANCED TERRAIN. CONVENIENT TO DENVER WITH COMPETITIVELY PRICED SLOPESIDE LODGING. HIGH BASE FOR GOOD LATE SEASON SNOW PRESERVATION.
MadMonk
April 17, 2007
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Thanks for the post. Reminded me of how much fun I had a Keystone many years ago.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
April 20, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Sweet report, Jim. We took our family to the K back in February and had a similar experience, but just a tad less snow. Elk run was one of our favorites - good entry into the trees on both sides. On that brilliant photo looking back at Dercum, iirc, under the gondola line on the right are the Windows glades which would be some very challenging terrain and I don't see any track marks in there! One can easily spend all day on the Outback and never miss the rest of the resort. With that much snow I am surprised that hwy 6 was open - it was not while we were there. All in all, well done!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?