brianhead/alta/snowbird mini tour
21 posts
8 users
8k+ views
crunchy
April 4, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
well, got back last night after 4 days of getting my ass kicked by the big mountains in utah! very humbling for a mid-atl skier who thought he was a good skier went down to brianhead on friday for a powder day because they got alot more snow than SLC, then sat/sun at Alta, and monday at Snowbird. I can post a full gamut of pics if theres any interest because I understand this is DCski and not Utah ski, so I dont want to piss anyone off. pics from the lifts are real nice and show how big and extreme some the skiing is there, but action shots arent so hot and not many cause we were busy skiing

here is a good powder shot tho from friday:

2 turns later.. i hit a rock and got buried (and got a nice gouge on the base of my new public enemies!)

JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Go ahead and piss us off crunchy and post more pictures. You have the best timing. From now on please post in advance all your planned ski trip dates so we'll know when and where to expect fresh snow
Sorry you hit that rock, but there's not a reader here that wouldn't take your place for that wipe out.
Roger Z
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Well... there were no rocks to be hit at Wolf Creek, so crunchy can go ahead and have that second-rate Utah snow.
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yeah, let's see more pics!! And don't worry about the rock hit, it means you're skiing an exciting line. Now, you just need to work on not falling when the sparks fly!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
KevR
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Ssssssssssswwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttt...

ok, lay it on me!

Where was that shot?

How's brian head, been curious about that, just never bothered to drive all the way down thar.
crunchy
April 4, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

Ssssssssssswwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttt...

ok, lay it on me!

Where was that shot?

How's brian head, been curious about that, just never bothered to drive all the way down thar.

ill update the first post with a link to nice TR in a bit. but for Brianhead, unless they get more snow, it might not be worth the trek if you are in SLC already. some cool terrain, but not as steep as anything in little cottonwood canyon. those pics were from the right of upper engens.

Skier219, you are right about learning to not bite it when you hit stuff, and for me its always cause im in the back seat on steeps in powder or crud, etc. When i saw this pic my buddy took at alta showing some back seat driving, i wasn't ashamed to take a lesson. 2hr private at Alta for $160 was a no-bainer for this small mountain skier

timidness getting in the way of better form!
KevR
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
i don't think you are too bad really. Maybe you should try some softer skis, you can bend the tails and still turn a bit -- of course, there's always just staying balanced over the skis... But let's face it, went it gets funky we all go back a bit!
(when we are out of comfort zone!)
tempfishnski
April 4, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
MANNN....you hit it right on the powder Budro! Got your Mullahs worth....You don't have any time to waste though...Big Dump in New hampshire!..Hurry & you can hit WILDCAT in the Morn for 1st Powder tracks ...you Ain't left yet
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Skier219, you are right about learning to not bite it when you hit stuff, and for me its always cause im in the back seat on steeps in powder or crud, etc. When i saw this pic my buddy took at alta showing some back seat driving, i wasn't ashamed to take a lesson. 2hr private at Alta for $160 was a no-bainer for this small mountain skier

Nice pic! Awesome idea taking a lesson -- I am sure that will be one of the best $160 you ever spent. I continue to think that staying humble and open-minded about one's skiing skills is the key to getting better.

That is definitely a steep looking run, and one where a backseat posture is not surprising or unexpected. Backseat is a natural tendency for many of us that can be a hard habit to break. You may lick it for the most part, but it can come back on steep trails or anywhere the difficulty level ramps up (in extreme cases you may also suck your thumb and call for mommy). I still keep a mental sticky note to stay out of the backseat whenever I ski, and it has worked for the most part (though I still get reminded I have plenty to learn every so often). A couple things I keep in mind:

1) upper body forward and projected downhill
2) gaze projected downhill
3) keep upper body angulated out over the downhill ski (this is especially a good check on super steep trails to make sure you are doing #1 and it keeps that important ski weighted)
4) correct any backseat moments by sliding the feet aft (rather than moving body forward)

As you probably found out, skiing steep trails becomes a lot easier when you get out of the backseat and get your body projected down the hill. Turn transitions become easier, you stay in control, maintain speed, etc..., and confidence goes up. It's a good feeling to rip a steep trail with confidence! Or retreat into granny turns (still staying out of the backseat) when it is really steep! (yep, the granny turn is still part of my bag of tricks).

Another great tip I picked up on EpicSki is to dive right into steep trails (as long as you have scouted them and know the lay) starting down (or barely across) the fall line. Getting started is very important. A weak or tentative first turn, or one made going across the hill in a traverse, usually means you will be in the backseat and making weak "first" turns the whole way down, never getting out of the backseat and never making good transitions across the fall line. When you dive into the trail with your upper body down the fall line, you carry that initial setup with you all the way down the hill. Well, at least until you biff it, but then you can start over anew!
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
By the way, the PEs look great! How did you like them?
crunchy
April 4, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

By the way, the PEs look great! How did you like them?

pretty nice, the 4th day at the bird, i got to ski in almost every condition. the only one they didnt do so well for me was the crusty hardpack. seemed a little chatty, but maybe its my lack of carving skills By far the most popular ski I saw the last 2 days were the Legend 8000. seemed like ever other skier had em!
crunchy
April 4, 2007
596 posts
I wasn't able to edit my first post, but here is a link to some good area pics.

Utah Spring 07 trip pics
David
April 4, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Nice....Those pics aren't helping me get out of the mindset that ski season is over....neither is this storm system that is moving in though.....I am so confused!! Please help!!
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

By far the most popular ski I saw the last 2 days were the Legend 8000. seemed like ever other skier had em!

The Legend is a very nice ski and feels graceful underfoot; I have almost bought a pair a few times. They are somewhat slow turning and not as good on hardpack as similar mid-fat skis (Elan Mag12/M666 and Head iM77 for instance). So I could never quite settle on the Legend as an East coast ski, but it is one of the best west coast "skinny" skis around (despite the 79mm waist, anything under 100mm waist is skinny to those guys).
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Nice....Those pics aren't helping me get out of the mindset that ski season is over....neither is this storm system that is moving in though.....I am so confused!! Please help!!

Well, here's how crazy I am -- I am thinking about hitting TL over the weekend for some "earn your turns" or -- if I get really crazy -- drive up to VT for some turns. In reality, I'll probably just stay home, catch up on yard work, and mope. That pretty much describes the next 8 months!
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Thanks for the pictures!
David
April 4, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Quote:

In reality, I'll probably just stay home, catch up on yard work, and mope. That pretty much describes the next 8 months!

I feel ya...I just dusted off the lawn mower and cut the grass for the 1st time of the year on Tuesday. It was a very depressing time. I guess it isn't too bad because with warm weather comes my 2nd favorite outdoor activity....trout fishing. It isn't skiing, but it is spending peaceful time in the mountains, which is one of my favorite things about skiing....sorry, I digress.....now back to Utah!!
fishnski
April 4, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Fishing is busting out down here at the beach too! We got Speckled & Grey Trout down here David. It started to snow at 845pm tonite up at Canaan Hgts with a temp of 29....27 now! You might be trout fishing with some snow flakes even in your lowlands by this weekend....It really does Blow as it starts to snow that I can't go...& yes I'm a MotherFo to hijack Crunchies Show... hope I'm still your Bro!..Let it Snow..Let it SNOW
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

It started to snow at 845pm tonite up at Canaan Hgts with a temp of 29....27 now!

Where do you get that data from? I remember seeing one of the local CV B&B/hotels had an obs site online -- anybody know the URL?
fishnski
April 5, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Thats the Meyer house B&B with just real time weather Data...I get my obs from my Snowplow Dude,the front Desk Clerk at the resort cntr,Golden Anchor Waitress...the list goes on..... CK out Whitegrass.com & go to the reports page & then just below the Pic highlighted in yellow click on to Daves local site...Thats what you want 219....Good nite, Sleep tight..& don't let the Frost Bite
skier219
April 5, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.