Colorado
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
March 28, 2007
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Does any one know of any Colorado resorts that dont close in April?

jimboc
March 28, 2007
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
2 that come to mind quickly are:

Loveland
Arapahoe Basin
Roy
March 29, 2007
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Most stay open through April but tend to close near the end of the month. May gets tricky but Loveland and A-basin give it a go as long as they can. A-basin has been known to stay open to July 4th on good years.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 29, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I'm going out there soon and have looked at this closely. Most will close by Apr 15, Breckenridge closes Apr 22. Believe only A-basin and Loveland open after that and both vary their closing date depending on snow pack. A-basin is known to make it well into June.
BTW, fresh snow out there today.

Just heard Vail open until Apr 22nd also. Loveland usually goes until mid-May

Here's some very definitive closing date info for CO:
http://media-coloradoski.com/CSCFacts/OpeningAndClosingDates/

Silverton and Echo Park also go to May.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 29, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I have 2 business meetings there in late May and hope to find some skiing over a weekend. I will try to ski A Basin one day and backcountry another. I'd like to do Independence Pass.
http://www.independence-pass.com/pictures.htm
Notice the ski tracks in one of those Memorial Day pictures. In a normal year the road opens in late May so the window should be perfect. Loveland Pass is another easily accessed possibility, as is St. Mary's glacier, which I have skied in Aug.
skier219
March 29, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
That looks like a great place; I will have to keep that in mind next time I am in CO on travel (I always get sent out there when it's not prime ski season, but it looks like May might be an OK month to go).
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 29, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
You have to keep a very watchful eye on the weather. Colo. mountain thunderstorms are downright scary and can develop rapidly. Peak season is late summer but it can happen in May also. I've been chased from above timberline areas several times.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?