Any news on Laurel Mountain?
8 posts
3 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
January 7, 2004
Anybody heard any recent news on whether Laurel Mountain will open this year? Pittsburgh Post Gazette says no.
Norsk
January 7, 2004
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Almost impossible to imagine from a business point of view at this late date, even if the funds to do so magically appeared tomorrow and the ownership issue was resolved.
(Anonymous)
January 8, 2004
I read somewhere that they are not going to open this year. The money came in late, and now that its past the holiday season, they'd rather save their money for next year.

I really see Laurel going in two directions.

One is to invest money for snowmaking on their other trails such as Innsbruck, Dream Highway, Hegans Cut, Laurel Run etc. THis would make Laurel Mountain as good as any resort in PA. It already has longer trails, and a more consistent pitch, than 7 springs, Hidden, Valley, Wisp etc. More snowmaking would allow many more ways to go down it's LEGITIMATE 900 vertical(we're not talking about whitetail 900 vertical). The only problem is Blue Knob's still has better terrain. But Blue Knob, with its shoestring budget and lack of snowmaking, wont always have their great terrain open. In fact most weekends its very well possible that Laurel would have better terrain open if snowmaking were expanded.

THe other is maybe more realistic and not as optomistic. Laurel could sell off its Quad, still make snow on it's present snowmaking trails and only open holidays and weekends. People would come to avoid the crowds of the other destination and still get some turns on some of the best trails in the mid atlantic.

I just can't see it surviving the way it is now. It wont become a big destination resort unless it gives skiers more ways to ski down its big vertical. It has the trails they just need to put snowmaking on them. Or else the only way these trails are open are on big snow days. There are also quite a few nice glades at Laurel that aren't marked on the map but are very easy to find. They are long with nicely spaced trees and little underbrush or tree stumps which is very different from Blue knob. Unfortunately Laurel is in a tough situation.

(Anonymous)
January 8, 2004
If I recall correctly, the last owner of Laurel Mt. used upper Wildcat for a tubing or terrain park. That was a dumb idea to take their very best run and use it for something other than skiing. Let's hope that when Laurel opens again, they get rid of the tubing park or, at least move it off of Wildcat.
(Anonymous)
January 9, 2004
Thats incorrect. The tubing was near Upper Wildcat but not on it. I skied on Upper wildcat last year. The tubing park is basically in between upper wildcat and the bunny slope.
(Anonymous)
January 9, 2004
I think the Post-Gazette article quoted the State Park Manager, who was speculating that the new buyer's $$ would be better spent concentrating on next year's operations, rather than attempting to open this year.

With eash passing day, it's looking more and more like he was correct. The day that I skied there last March was one of the finest days that I had all season....

Aldee
January 10, 2004
Member since 11/18/2003 🔗
2 posts
According to Laurel's website, and also according to Ski Area Management Magazine (www.saminfo.com) the opening has been delayed because of the death of one of the key buyers. However, according to "saminfo" they are still hoping to open in mid-January. Only time will tell.
(Anonymous)
January 16, 2004
The PA Department of Conservation and Natural Reourses (DCNR: oversees the PA state park system which Laurel Mountain Ski Resort is a part of Linn Run State Park) website announced on December 30, 2003 that there will be no downhill skiing @ Laurel Mountain this year. What a shame... such a magnificent, wonderful, and beautiful place to ski a day (or 2) away. Laurel Mountain will be missed this year. Hopefully, upgrades (more snowmaking) will be made. Looking forward to skiing there in the Winter of 2004-2005.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.