Trip report: wintergreen 3/21
2 posts
2 users
wgo
March 21, 2007
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Spent the AM at wintergreen. There was still plenty of snow to ride, and, as expected, very few people there to take advantage of it. On the highlands side Lower Cliffhanger, Devils Elbow and Turkey Chute were closed. But, the snow on upper cliffhanger and Outer limits was pretty good. And, the moguls on upper wild turkey were still there. Today was a bit cooler and there must have been some refreezing, because the moguls were icy and shaped a bit funny. it really forced me to work on the whole compression/extension technique, and I think I had a bit of a rythym going by the last few mogul runs. The other fun thing that slope services did was to groom a narrow strip on skier's left of upper turkey, parallel to the moguls. It was really fun making quick short turns down the groomed part, and it meant that upper turkey skied like 2 different runs.

Highs temps thru closing day on 3/25 are supposed to be in the sixties, so if you are planning on one more trip to WTG, tomorrow in the AM may be the day to go - bumps should be pretty soft at this point and hopefully by going in the morning you will avoid the worst of the heat (high is supposed to be 69!). I am just happy that at least as of 3/21 there was some decent skiing to be had in Virginia.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 21, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Yea - you did get out this week, way to go. You know, I was thinking about last year and how they completely farmed the highlands and only had dobie and eagles swoop open by this time, but now to have outer limits open is really amazing- what a differenc a year makes. thank you mother nature and snowmaking!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?