Running list of resort closings?
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
chuckie
March 19, 2007
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
As the season winds to close, and people are looking for last chance destinations for local skiing/boarding, a running list of resorts open/closed would be a godsend. Maybe have it on the front page and update once a day or so (maybe even a quick list of open trails or something).

Is it just me or did BRYCE in VA just pack it in? I'm hoping for LIBERTY this weekend (with 70+ degrees... It just doesn't get any better , but I may need a close fail to resort if they close.
SkiBumMSP
March 19, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Well, Massanutten is closed for the season.

Wintergreen will go to this next weekend and that will be it for them.

Seems to be the case for nearly all of the resorts. I believe that the only things that may still be opened after this next weekend that is relatively close to the D.C. area will be Timberline and Snowshoe.

Don't know how late some of those resorts up in the Poconos usually goes to, especially the ones farther north, such as Sno Mountain or Elk. Would not be surprised if they close up this next weekend or the one afterwards as well.

Anybody know when Wisp or 7-Springs will bag it for the season?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
For any and all it goes without saying "weather dependent"!Seven Springs states they will remain open for skiing through Easter weekend, and will make snow if necessary and temps permit. Apparently they made snow last night.
Wisp hints at and April 1 closing. Elk, Camelback, Blue Mt.and SnoMountain remain open daily at this point. Many plan a carnival this weekend. Snowshoe is planning to remain open until Easter. Canaan Valley is open at least through this low rate weekend. TL remains open and indicates that April 1 might be the EOS. Wintergreen has the big party this weekend. Not sure what Liberty and Roundtop will do after the late week warming. Massanutten, Bryce, Whitetail, Homestead are now closed. Joe B. thinks the next 10 days will be relatively warm, with a cold shot early in April.
The Colonel
The Colonel
tommo
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Quote:

Wisp hints at and April 1 closing.

As of yesterday, Wisp is planning for April 1 to be the final day for this year. Based on the conditions yesterday, they should be at or close to 100% open through closing day. And, unless there's a major warm spell next week, don't plan on golf anytime soon - the snow is deep and thick - I'd bet that some slopes will still be covered in mid april...
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 20, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
From the home page top story, you probably saw that I tried to assemble an exhaustive list of current mid-Atlantic resort status and plans. Not sure how long it will stay accurate, and I won't be able to update it every day, but it should be useful as a planning tool. I was surprised by how many resorts are still open. (And sad that Whitetail closed -- with tons of snow on the slopes. Sigh!)

It seems that the majority of resorts will be open through this weekend (although some are shutting down midweek due to decreased skier visits). Many have not commited to a closing date yet, so I think they're waiting to see what skier visits are like this weekend before deciding whether to go another week. Snow cover doesn't seem to be the issue; there's plenty of snow to go around. Quite a few plan to make it until April 1, and it's somewhat amazing that Seven Springs was even making snow Sunday night. I can't recall a ski area making snow that late in the season. Kudos to them.

With the late-season storm providing great conditions for late March, I'm afraid this year will definitively prove our theory that resorts close due to decreased skier visits and not lack of snow cover. Whitetail is a perfect example of that. But we'll see how many visitors resorts tally up over the next week or two.
Roy
March 20, 2007
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I found this on the web yesterday. It's from onthesnow.com and you can click on the different states to find what's open and what's closed. Here's the link for pennsylvania resorts.

onthesnow.com
chuckie
March 20, 2007
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Quote:

From the home page top story, you probably saw that I tried to assemble an exhaustive list of current mid-Atlantic resort status and plans. Not sure how long it will stay accurate, and I won't be able to update it every day, but it should be useful as a planning tool. I was surprised by how many resorts are still open. (And sad that Whitetail closed -- with tons of snow on the slopes. Sigh!)

It seems that the majority of resorts will be open through this weekend (although some are shutting down midweek due to decreased skier visits). Many have not commited to a closing date yet, so I think they're waiting to see what skier visits are like this weekend before deciding whether to go another week. Snow cover doesn't seem to be the issue; there's plenty of snow to go around. Quite a few plan to make it until April 1, and it's somewhat amazing that Seven Springs was even making snow Sunday night. I can't recall a ski area making snow that late in the season. Kudos to them.

With the late-season storm providing great conditions for late March, I'm afraid this year will definitively prove our theory that resorts close due to decreased skier visits and not lack of snow cover. Whitetail is a perfect example of that. But we'll see how many visitors resorts tally up over the next week or two.

D@MN! I didn't actualy expect that you'd be able to get that up on the front page this season. Excellent resource! The fact is, I have been coming to this site for years for reliable information (love the resort reviews too), and it has helped me considerably. I just made a donation, and will do so each season. Thanks Scott.

Now, I'm praying LIBERTY will hold out so I don't have to make the 4hr ride to 7Srpings. I have to admit, Seven Springs saying that They'll be open until EASTER is impressive news.

Arrrg, but the 4hr ride to get there... Comon LIBERTY!

See you on the hill..
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.