WV powder season - it won't quit.
8 posts
7 users
3k+ views
7 users
3k+ views
I have skied an even dozen days in the WV backcountry this season, as of yesterday. The big storm that just pushed through the mid-Atlantic and on up to New England was supposed to drop an inch or so of 'wintry mix' in WV. Not the Highlands, thank you. It snowed all day Fri. and Sat. and yesterday dawned brilliant, sunny, 14 deg. and 12"+ of new light powder. See,
http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html
I realized on return last night that EVERY day of my WV season has been a powder day, at least boot top deep, and if you know the drift line - bottomless. I left at 2:30 having skied 7 runs of untracked and totally tired in that great way that only skiing can produce. The sky clouded over and it began to snow. It has been the best WV season ever, and it just keeps going on. :-)))))
http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html
I realized on return last night that EVERY day of my WV season has been a powder day, at least boot top deep, and if you know the drift line - bottomless. I left at 2:30 having skied 7 runs of untracked and totally tired in that great way that only skiing can produce. The sky clouded over and it began to snow. It has been the best WV season ever, and it just keeps going on. :-)))))
I was at the shoe yesterday, and for me to say anything good about the place is rare, but I had one of the best skiing days ever! Short lift lines, not crowded on the slopes, and great powder! We rode up with a couple that had been to Steamboat the month before and he said the conditions were better in WV that day than the champaign powder of Steamboat. Yesterday was one of those late seaon treats that comes around every couple of years!!!!
Quote:
I realized on return last night that EVERY day of my WV season has been a powder day, at least boot top deep, and if you know the drift line - bottomless. It has been the best WV season ever, and it just keeps going on. :-)))))
Amen to that... Simply amazing! Not to mention on the drive to and fro, you really understand why WV has all the monikers such as 'almost heaven' and 'west by god va'.
I've already decided that Im buying a season pass for next year after they close and have it offered for cheap

Yep, this has been a damn good season, despite the mild weather in December. I have had some really memorable days in 2007.
yeah.. i found some more pics I took this weekend to show just how sweet the pow was in WV. 

ok i lied... it was from last weekend, just a little north tho


ok i lied... it was from last weekend, just a little north tho
Quote:Don't ya hate it when a pic doesn't show your skis and proper edging technique.
yeah.. i found some more pics

Good point Camp
If i wasn't aware that WV lies south of the Mason/dixon & the fact that it is in the Banana belt...Semi tropical belt with GW...I would have thought that the Masked man was skiing Deep powder...we all know it was just a dense fog bank 
If i wasn't aware that WV lies south of the Mason/dixon & the fact that it is in the Banana belt...Semi tropical belt with GW...I would have thought that the Masked man was skiing Deep powder...we all know it was just a dense fog bank 

