SNOWSHOE
15 posts
8 users
4k+ views
Ullr
March 17, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
WTF, I finally begin to stop hating the place, and make plans to go up today. I check the snow report and they have closed the Western Territory!!

Please, one of the SS insiders tell me it is going to be open Sunday!
crunchy
March 17, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
not sure where you live, but, Camelback seems like the place to be this weekend! all day i was flip-flopping back and forth between going there or CV/TL, since the valley has never let me down yet, but this storm didn't do much for WV. looks like liberty/WT/RT did better! its still snowing here in tline, but looks to me like 5" at most. Hopefully the snowboarders wont have it all plowed down the slopes too early.
Ullr
March 17, 2007
532 posts
Can't make it that far, but I did just call them (they open at 8am) and they said that everything will be open this weekend!!!!
Murphy
March 17, 2007
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
The report shows 57 trails open now but they only have 2 new inches of snow.
SkiBumMSP
March 17, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

WTF, I finally begin to stop hating the place, and make plans to go up today. I check the snow report and they have closed the Western Territory!!

Please, one of the SS insiders tell me it is going to be open Sunday!

Sure you weren't looking at yesterdays? I just looked at today's report just a minute ago and it says everything, including the runs on the Western Territory side are open. They may just had them closed yesterday to patch up the snow from last weeks warmth and get them prepared for the weekend.
Ullr
March 17, 2007
532 posts
Yea, it was the 2:30pm Fri to 8am Sat report, they are open!
JohnP
March 17, 2007
Member since 03/17/2007 🔗
8 posts
I'm here right now in my condo we have about 4 inches so far and is expected to fall until late tonight. Lower Shays is icy but everything else has a powder surface on top of hard pack. Pretty good riding today and should be great tomorrow.
skier219
March 17, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Hard to peg a measurement between the wind and skier traffic, but I would say 5-6" at this point with another 1-3" predicted overnight. Coming down heavy at times and never stopped snowing all day.

Western Territory (WT) was closed yesterday as were all trails serviced by detachable lifts due to freezing rain. All back open today (including WT -- skied over there for a couple hours). There is less snow and more wind over on the WT, and the trails are fairly hard on that side of the hill (but still OK with sharp skis). Basin side is getting more snow and holding snow better, though was icy in spots -- the previous soft base froze up like a glacier. I think overnight grooming should tidy everything up nicely on the basin side.

BTW, the bases are fairly deep still. With this recharge of cold, they will have no problem getting to April 8! I don't expect the icy moguls on Shays to melt until July!!
rmcva
March 17, 2007
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
SC was pretty good. Able to find untracked until noon today. Lots of wind but trails had lots of powder. It snowed pretty much all day and nobody at SC. Flying Eagle lift probably averaged 8 empty chairs to each with someone
Snowmakers
March 18, 2007
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Amen. Silver Creek's snow was awesome yesterday. Unlike snowshoe where you were able to dig underneath and hit hardpack, silver creek was much better. Even the park had awesome powder in it
skier219
March 18, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
We got a lot of snow overnight at SS. There was 8-10" of untracked snow on a lot of trails in the morning. In fact, I made a couple runs on my all-mtn skis (which were required yesterday) and came back to the condo to swap them out for my fat skis. Really nice snow! Unfortunately, even with light traffic, the pow got skied out pretty quick. The snow consolidated some by afternoon, at which point we were skiing some very nice skier-packed powder under sunny skies (with an occasional cloud + flurries).

It was not very crowded today -- never was more than 3-4 rows deep in any lift line. Combined with the excellent snow, this really made Snowshoe a great place to be (especially when I think back to those days with huge crowds and long lift lines). I did several cross-mountain green laps with our group in the afternoon, basically skiing from Powder Ridge over to Widowmaker and back, and it was a great time. I think this has to rank up there as one of our best snow weekends at Snowshoe, and that comes after a week of worrisome rain and warm temps. Winter sure made a spectacular rebound!

I never made it over to Silver Creek, unfortunately, but my wife and sisters-in-law were there on Saturday and said it was excellent. Would have been nice to be over there for the powder this morning (I am sure there were untracked lines there all day), but it was too easy to just ski out the back of the condo! We are staying at Camp-4 and it's been great. We're going to check out Monday morning and ski until mid afternoon. Forecast is calling for 44F and partly cloudy skies, which will be a nice cap to the weekend.
Ullr
March 18, 2007
532 posts
Yea, just got in. Sorry I missed you. The conditions this morning were great. They left skipjack and Grabhammer ungroomed and it was boot top light powder! More like mid-winter than St Pattys day conditions. The snow overnight was much more than I thought it would be. Have not been to the shoe since we sold our place, and I disappointed to see the Red Fox and Yoddlers gone. Foxfire was crowded but fun Sat nite. Overall, a good weekend.
skier219
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Honestly, I was shocked to see all the un-groomed powder Sunday AM -- I knew it had been snowing all night, but there was more snow than I expected in the middle of the mountain. The trails out the back of our condo were groomed and had only 2-3" fresh snow on top at the most -- that was a decoy. By the time we rode up the Powdermonkey lift and saw deep snow on Choker, I knew something was up!! We ripped down Choker in boot-high powder , with my mid-fat skis sinking like stones . I ran back and got my fat skis in time to get 3-4 nice runs down Knot Bumper, Grab Hammer, and Ball Hooter before the place was totally tracked out.

Today was sublime groomed snow in the AM. The trails on the Western Territory were great -- hard snow, but not quite icy. I got in some of the best fast carving of the season. Upper Shays and Lower Cupp made for a nice fast run, with some great rollers and hops on lower Cupp. Lower Shays was survival skiing for the top 1/3 (icy bumps), and then decent bump skiing the rest of the way down. Were it not for fresh snow collected in the troughs, the whole of lower Shays would have sucked. This is one stretch of trail that will improve with warm weather!
skier219
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
BTW, we were sad to see Red Fox closed too. My wife and I were planning to get dinner there Friday night. I tried making a reservation and learned it was closed. Too bad.
skier219
March 20, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Here's one of many shots I got Sunday 3/18:

That was a spectacular day to enjoy the great snow.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?