Blue Knob for 1st time 12/26-12/29
12 posts
5 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
January 3, 2004
Took our family (6 adults and 1 three year old) to Blue Knob for the first time after Christmas. We usually ski SnowShoe or Seven Springs during this time period but wanted to try something new and stay closer to home. We too were disappointed that the snow machines never ran the entire time we were there and wondered why. We did, however, enjoy the smaller crowds, lack of lift lines and long green runs at BK. The better skiers in the group were more disappointed in the conditions but still did NOT miss the buses full of kids that over run 7 Springs (speaking of 4 letter words, you can't stand in any line there without hearing that language!). The condos were also disappointing with their early garage-sale furniture, stained carpets, etc. but, again, we were not paying 7 Springs or SS prices. We decided we would go back but will check this site and others for more up-to-date conditions. BTW - during our last run a hot dogger came off a blue run and crashed right into my wife who was crossing the slope to slow down a bit. There were not more than 6 people on the mountain at that time (Mon am about 10:00) and he certainly had to be out of control not to be able to miss her. He sent her tumbling down the mountain and she is still taking muscle relaxers and lots of pain killers. My Point? Be careful - just because it isn't crowded doesn't mean there are not still idiots out there!
JohnL
January 3, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
>> Blue Knob (in my opinion) is over-run these days with a very "rough" crowd of skiers and boarders.

>> However, from time to time, some of these rough characters can get a bit wild on the ungladed slopes.

Steve, what is your problem?

You said on the Snowshoe thread that you were unjustly criticized for simply stating "objective" facts. Where's the objectivity here?

Reconsider your posting style or get lost.

(Anonymous)
January 3, 2004
John, keep in mind that I QUALIFIED what I posted by stating "in my opinion". I though that it was OK to offer one's opinion on this forum, particularly if it is qualified.
JohnL
January 3, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Steve,

You are splitting hairs. You consistently make some pretty outrageous comments, and feel you have qualified the comments by stating "in my opinion".

Get lost man.

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 3, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Ok, folks, this is going to stop. I am getting tired of seeing people bash resorts. I don't think anyone likes the negative tone. We're all here because we're enthusiastic about the sport of skiing, and we're lucky to have a number of fine resorts in the Mid-Atlantic region. Each resort has pros and cons, and you can point out both without resorting to bashing or making negative generalizations that simply can't be backed up. (I think Green Run's initial post was a fine example of pointing out the pros and cons of his trip to Blue Knob.)

Over the past few years, DCSki's Message Forums have been a model of civil and informed discourse, and I have taken a "hands off" attitude, not even requiring registration to make sure there were no impediments to people sharing their comments. Let's stop being critical to each other, stop bashing resorts repeatedly, and focus on constructive conversations that highlight how to get the most out of skiing or snowboarding in this region. The last role I want to play is a "Forum Cop."

JohnL
January 3, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Scott,

In the recent DCSki survey, I suggested that DCSki needed message board participants to register prior to posting and more strict moderation of the posts are needed. This is the normal procedure for most Internet message boards. Through your hard work and the hard work of others, DCSki has acquired a much wider audience, and unfounded posts can have a much bigger impact. More justification is required of general criticisms, especially for posters who are not posting for the first time. (Newbies are cut some slack everywhere in life.)

I make no bones about my criticisms of Steve V's posting style. Note I said posting style and not Steve V. himself (or herself). I am not simply an anti-Steve V. poster (though he/she may feel that way) and I stand by the diversity of my posts. Anyone can search the archives of DCSki to find out for themselves.

On the bright side, I just bought a new pair of skis this morning at Ski Center, they'll be mounted by Thursday, and I'll be on the slopes next weekend. Look for the skier with the Atomic SX:9's with the big smile on his face. They feel more like rollerblades than skis - feels like I'm cheating.

(Anonymous)
January 3, 2004
John, believe me, I fully respect your opinions as well as the opinions of all the other posters on this forum. And granted, you have now described some of my opinions as being "outrageous", which I find hard to understand; but I respect your opinion nevertheless. However, I don't appreciate being told to "get lost". That was uncalled for.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 3, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Scott mentioned a while ago that he plans a major software upgrade this summer. I suspect, if we are lucky, we'll getting upgraded forum software. At a minimum, I hope this software does the following:

1. Provide a private messaging functions for members to communicate offline. PMs can clear up a lot of potential disputes and also allow members to go into more detail on a side topic offline.

2. Provide a better registrations system for users, which will make it easier for Scott to patrol the forum. He's way too busy to play forum cop but I agree with JohnL that a better registration system could curb some abuse.

3. Provide a dynamic web link capability.

4. Provide members an easy 1-click method of reporting suspicious posts.

5. Provide members with a way to post post ski pictures.

For better or worse, this forum (and the article comments area) represents the tail that wags the dog for DCSki. It's why most people regularly log in to DCSki--not that the other content isn't good, it's just not up to the minute fresh like the forum.

Also, in the Internet age, people prefer raw, unfiltered information over edited content. The general consensus amongst net users is that user reviews, even though they often contain glaring inaccuracies, are less biased than professional reviews or articles.

More and more, people are making decisions about where to ski, where to stay, what skis to buy, and where to eat based on what people write in forums. Admittedly, I stayed at the Inn at the Long Trail at Killington based on some comments I read on www.epicski.com. Fortunately, the people who posted comments proved to be reputable. If I had just used the Killington web site to find a room, I would have ended up at Killington property like the Grand Summit. That's fine if you have money to burn but if you are cheap and discriminating, the web is great way to scout out wonderful venues off the beaten trail. Heck, if it were not for DCSki, I never would have visited Timberline because Timberline does not market itself at all.

This is why resort managers get so upset when they read unconstructive criticism of their resorts on DCSki. They get pissed because they know it is having an impact on discriminating skiers. So what can we do? Well, people have to raise red flags when they read false, biased, or unconstuctive comments. This could mean posting a corrective to a negative post or with a new software system, simply reporting the suspicious post to Scott and having him delete it.

It's not a bullet proof solution but it's a start.

(Anonymous)
January 4, 2004
Green Runs, first of all, I'm sorry that your wife was hurt at Blue Knob; it sounds like the other person was totally at fault. Unfortunately, that type of accident can happen at any ski area. But having said that, Blue Knob (in my opinion) is over-run these days with a very "rough" crowd of skiers and boarders. When the snow is good, most of them can be found bombing and crashing their way down through Blue Knob's "state of the art glades" where they are only in danger of hitting a tree (like they say at BK, "ski good or eat wood"). However, from time to time, some of these rough characters can get a bit wild on the ungladed slopes. As far as your condo went, I think that you were very lucky; a few friends of mine rented a BK condo a couple of years ago and a plumbing leak from above put a "real damper" on their stay. Worse yet, the condo management office was very slow in doing anything about it.
tromano
January 4, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Steve V,

You have a pretty strong record of sounding off in criticizim of BK. I think you have some valid points, already covered in other discussions, regarding their recent logging activities. However I think its very unfair, and it reveals a bias on your part, to charachterize the patrons at BK as a "'rough' crowd" based solely on greenruns' report.

Last weekend at 7Springs My girlfriend and I were knocked over by a 8 year old snow boarder who was sliding down giant boulder on his backside, clearly out of control. I think neither he, nor greenruns' "hot dogger" represent the average skier at any local resort. I think your statement, even if it is just your opinion, is a mischarachterization.

I am, and I think Scott in his reluctance to "patrol the forums" is, offering you the chance to regain some credibilty by reexamining your statments. I think to be taken seriously you have to admit that not everything is going poorly at blueknob.

JohnFMH,

I agree that as you said this is a forum for the "discriminating" skier to learn more about skiing options in this area. I think that most people will be able to see, from the record that exists, that Steve V. is highly critical of BK, much more so than anyone else on DCSKI. They will also see that his opion is the exception to the rule here.

For my part DCSki influences my, and apparently your, ski purchasing by showing me what is out there. In that sense, and publicinty is good publicity, even if its slander. Further I think most discriminating people would rather see for themselves rather than base their actions solely on any of our opinions.

JohnL,

Please let us know how your new skis are working for you. And I am looking forward to your report from Blue Knob.

[This message has been edited by tromano (edited 01-04-2004).]

(Anonymous)
January 4, 2004
First of all, things ARE going very poorly at
BK. Second, BK IS considered to be one of the more environmentally destructive ski areas in North America [not only is this my opinion, it is also the opinion of the Sierra Club, which has done an editorial on BK in a PA newspaper (and a piece on BK in a PA Sierra Club publication)] That's the REALITY! Now, while this forum is not dedicated to the environment, the environment IS linked to skiing because environmental policies at each ski resort have an effect on the quality of the skiing. Generally, resorts that practice environmental stewardship and erosion control have high quality skiing more often during the course of a typical ski season. Because environmental problems and issues at BK have impacted the skiing (in the opinions of credible environmental groups), it is noteworthy and worth mentioning on this forum. Keep in mind, that I always urged skiers and boarders to please go to BK and form their own opinions. I am NOT attempting to bash a ski area. Nor have I used profanity or told anyone to "get lost man" as other posters have done. As far as my "rough crowd" comment goes, first I qualified it by stating "in my opinion"; second, I stated that someone getting hit by another (skier or boarder) could happen at any ski area. Perhaps my comment was insensitive, and I apologize for it, but it was just my opinion.
tromano
January 4, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Fair enough and thanks for explaining yourself. I think the issue of unsafe skiiers / boarders is a very big concern. I may start another thread to address this.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?