6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
tromano
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Hey,

I have to stay in town this weekend and am wondering which of the close in to DC areas to hit. I am interested in skiing some more spring bumps.

I heard that Roundtop might be in good shape. What about liberty or whitetail? thanks,

Tim
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 15, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
IF conditions are equal - I think the bumps on Exhibition at Whitetail would be the longest workout you'd get. The two or three bumpy sections on the backside of Liberty are shorter, but possibly a little steeper. The couple of bump runs at Roundtop will work too, but they are even shorter and if Gunbarrel is not open I wouldn't go there. This might be a good weekend to ski at night unless we get some snow on Sat morning.
kennedy
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Whitetail looks a little rough. I'm waiting 'til Sunday for 2 reasons. 1. I want to see how much natural they get, and give them a chance to groom. 2. Saturday is my national holiday. I will be raising pints to St. Paddy and thanking him for driving the snakes out, not that we had any in the first place, and for giving us a great holiday that everyoe can get behind.
chuckie
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
I was at WHITETAIL on WED 3/14.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it WHITETAIL looks like it has been hit a lot harder than say LIBERTY (no bare spots when I was there on Saturday). There are definitely some rough patches around on the BLUES on the front, but the advanced terrain seems to be in much better shape in general)

If yer a bumps person then I can confidently say that the bumps on EXHIBITION are still there and the trail it's self is in decent shape (no bare spots that I saw). In fact almost all of the BLACK runs on the side were in good condition. I was actualy shocked when I ran into snow of some depth on a couple of the trails!

It started drizzling when I was there, and with today's temps who knows. I doubt though that the snow on EXHIBITION or any of the other DIAMONDS will be too much worse by this weekend, especialy considering the forecast temp drop.

I do give WHITETAIL credit for marking any bad spots exceptionaly well (I have ridden elsewhere and ran into some nasty suprises).
tromano
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Thanks for the recent info. I was looking at the web cams (but they no longer hav a cam on the experts choice) and was pretty worried. I think whitetail may be in the cards now.
Otto
March 15, 2007
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Liberty's last day is Sunday. Kudos to GM Eric Flynn for investing mucho dinero in snowmaking and putting the mountain in shape to offer lots of Feb. and March skiing.

I skied exhibition at Whitetail on Wed. afternoon and it had no bare spots. Whitetail is overall showing some wear, but was in good shape considering the HEAT!

Liberty has steeper bumps on Upper Eastwind and Strata, but you are talking 6-8 turns and you are done...

Dunno about Roundtop.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?