Blue Knob CLOSED today!!!!!!!!!!!!
26 posts
14 users
8k+ views
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I drove over the top of the Knob (past the BK ski lodge) about an hour ago and the place was completely deserted! When I returned home, I called BK's ski report and they said that, due to the thunder storms and high winds, the ski area was closed today. NONE of this makes any sense! First of all, there are (and were) NO high winds; in fact there's hardly a breeze. Second, one thunder storm passed through LAST NIGHT. And, by about 1:00 AM the thunder had stopped and the area received only about 1/3 of and inch of rain. So, the reasons given for the closure don't hold water (no pun intended). I believe that perhaps the REAL reason for the closure is that large ditches and gaps might have washed across some of the ski slopes, particularly near the bottom of the mountain. Because many ski slope areas have no grass with water-bars to channel the melt-off away, erosion continues to take place. When I hiked some of the lower ski slope areas last Fall, I noticed lots of eroded areas that I figured would cause major problems in maintaining the snow base during late season.
Norsk
March 15, 2007
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Yep, it sure could be that BK is getting their comeuppance today for all their environmentally destructive, irresponsible, dolphin and puppy - killing land management practices.

Or, it could just be economics. Midweek days in March aren't usually profitable for ski areas in the mid-Atlantic, unless it snowed the night before. Maybe they just found an excuse to save some $$$.
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
Don't think so! BK WAS scheduled to be OPEN today! It's better for business to maintain credibility than save a few dollars. Furthermore, yesterday BK was running just one chairlift with a skeleton crew, so it can't cost very much to stay open. If BK had wanted to save some money they would have reported in advance that they weren't going to be open today, so your theory (as to why they're closed) is just plan wrong.
wgo
March 15, 2007
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I think one thing that most of us can agree on is that given the fluctuating weather here in the MidA, local slope designers really need to think about things like runoff and erosion. Even in the absence of any longer term environmental concerns it just seems to make sense to do those few simple things up front that would help maintain base in the face of warm weather.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
bawalker
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Here we go again...
teleman
March 15, 2007
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
It must be Global Warming?????
Roger Z
March 15, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
OH MY GOSH A SKI RESORT IN THE MID ATLANTIC CLOSED IN MARCH!!!!!!

And once again we see why newspapers are falling by the wayside. Did you find such earth shattering news on the front page of the New York Times? No, of course not. It was broken to the world- with approximately 800,000 exclamation points- by way of a ski website online. Another victory for the blogosphere.

But hey, get this, I have even bigger news than a ski resort in the Mid-Atlantic closing in March:

THE TULIPS ARE COMING UP IN MY YARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See my news has even more exclamation points so clearly it is even more amazing. Probably this whole thread will get linked to the Drudge Report soon.

It's hard to handle this much shock. If someone says there's college kids wearing bathing suits in Florida right now, I might grow dizzy and faint.
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
What a LAME cheap-shot in response to a legitimate news item.
tromano
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
They are scheduled to reopen on the weekend. Its pretty typical for ski areas to close during exceptionally warm spring week days. They are trying to conserve the snow for the weekend and save some operating expenses. I plan on skiing blueknob again in march (spring bumps on extrovert) so I will certainly take a few more pictures to see if the news of erosion is true.
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
But, it's NOT the least bit warm at BK today and the closure was not planned in advance.
energy177
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/1/2004 🔗
19 posts
Quote:

Don't think so! BK WAS scheduled to be OPEN today! It's better for business to maintain credibility than save a few dollars. Furthermore, yesterday BK was running just one chairlift with a skeleton crew, so it can't cost very much to stay open. If BK had wanted to save some money they would have reported in advance that they weren't going to be open today, so your theory (as to why they're closed) is just plan wrong.

they probably used the "wind, thunderstorms, etc." as an excuse to close because they knew they would lose money. so his theory isn't all that wrong.

oh, and btw, i really like your use of capitalizing random words in your posts. it entertains me.
bktim
March 15, 2007
Member since 06/14/2006 🔗
32 posts
When I came in this morning the Mountain Manager asked me for an updated forecast and I gave it to him. Rain all day turning to snow tonight with winds from 15-25 miles per-hour. He made the call to close today and try and get the slopes ready for the weekend. As it turns out it rained all day but the wind wasn't as bad as forecasted. I think he made a good call to close today. We should be able to open tomorrow.
Ski Good Or Eat Wood,
BK Tim
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Closing when there is heavy rain is a good idea that I wish more ski areas would follow. It lets the water to drain from the snow and keeps it from getting packed down while wet, which greatly reduces the formation of ice in the next freeze. To my knowledge the only mtn. that does this regularly is Mad River.
Ullr
March 15, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Good call Tim. Glad to see it, just wish I had the time to come up and visit. You have a great mountain, and I love visiting it with all those great trails. Good luck on the rest of the season, and hopefully I can get up there in 08!
bawalker
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
In the mean time, I'm going to sit and play Amped 3 on my Xbox 360 for my powder rush.
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
But there was no heavy rain today at BK, just some occasional drizzle.
Roger Z
March 16, 2007
2,181 posts
(ahem)

Blue Knob is open today (3/16). Even their X-C skiing is open.

THOSE fools! Don't they know THAT there are "large ditches and gaps" aLL over tHeIr mOunTain that will cause "major problems maintaining THeIr snow base?" Why won't they listen to Mm AND just stay closed???
bktim
March 16, 2007
Member since 06/14/2006 🔗
32 posts
It's snowing heavy at Blue Knob. They are calling for up to a foot of snow today . Conditions for the weekend should be great.
Ski Good or Eat Wood,
BKTim
jimmy
March 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
aw RoGeRZ i always GET cornfused by THIS which CAME 1ST chicken LITTLE or the EGG??? .
kennedy
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm thinking WT is a GO for Sunday but I hear from a pretty good source the Liberty is finishing up this weekend.

Rusty, if your checking in, whats the line up for WT's park this weekend? I have a hankerin for some air time.
Ullr
March 16, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
JIMMY,

Don't you KNOW that if it is COLD and SNOWY he WON'T read and post HERE! Wait till NEXT week when it WARMS up and he'll be BACK!
jimmy
March 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
UnOWut brIaN, I think i want TO get a JOb like mm's uNO as an ENnviro-MENTalist, SeemS to ME that he SuRE skiS aLOT for SOMEone with the WAIT of SaVING us from IMPENDing DOOOM hangING ovr his head.

I think THat i shall never see,
A SiGhT as LoveLY as that REd SUV,
Parked BEsIde that Big white egg
That just RAN!! down chicken little's leg.
Roger Z
March 16, 2007
2,181 posts
Man, I thought I was cruel. Y'all are puttin' me to shame! But it's funny!

Jimmy, chicken littles always come before the egg. Anyway screw all this... where ya skiin' this weekend? I gotta a last trip to Wolf Creek, CO next week with some folks. Not sure how the skiing is going to be, it's warm there right now and it's supposed to get cold by next weekend, which could mean for some east-coast-like ice (uh-oh, I've gone chicken little... may I get egg on my face for that prediction, too!). After that, it's hiking/biking season here in Kansas! Until July, when we all crawl into our air-conditioned tornado shelters and wait for the 105 degree temperatures to depart in September.
tromano
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts

It's miller time.
therusty
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Hi Kennedy,

WT has a park?

Although we lost over 10 inches of base over the last week, the hits in Jib Junction (the big park) should not be seriously impacted. Caveat Emptor: I have not been in the park all that much this season.
kennedy
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Sweet, thanks for the update. You going to be around Sunday?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.