Hot sun and slush at el 3400'
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
I just happened to be driving down US29 yesterday afternoon so I stopped in at Wintergreen for 2 solid hours. In summary: HOT SUN and SLUSH. Definately spring skiing with deep slush that made my skis feel like lead bricks as I navigated a few bare spots. Still probably 90% coverage and all trails open which I thought was pretty impressive. There wasn't really a good or bad spot, it was an equal opportunity day for the mush. There were a few guys on old school straights that were just ripping the moguls on turkey while I took a somewhat more cautious and less elegant route. This wkend should be colder and if they can get a good freeze and groom it then the conditions would be very nice, so get it while you can. I don't think they will have any trouble making march 25, they have a lot of crop to farm. Cheers.
wgo
March 14, 2007
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Thanks for the report - I was thinking of hitting WTG for a 1/2 day next week if conditions warrent. Do you think they will have groomed out the moguls on wild turkey by then. It would be nice if they were still there, but I guess if they are just slushpiles at that point anyway then it doesn't really matter.
skier219
March 14, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Thanks for the report Dave! We had a similar experience on Sunday, and it was a fun day but extremely tiring. In fact I still feel tired! I hope the snow holds on for one more mid-week trip next week and/or closing day on March 25. The weekend freeze should help. Boy, March sure sped by...

Oh, I almost forgot -- did you somehow forfeit skiing the top 500' elevation of Wintergreen, or did the top 500' melt already?

Craig
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
hey, you know that top 4-500' is the backcountry of condos, roads, and golf. snow was thin there so i did put way the skins and resigned myself to the downhill courses

don't know about the moguls - no bare spots there yesterday so they could let them go on if they want to. lower diamond hill looked like it was about ready to close.
skier219
March 14, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Me stupid today. You know I always forget they peg their 3900ft at the golf course farther up the hill. Which, um, is not the best skiing on the mountain most days. So you only skipped 100' of slush, which is OK .

I have always found it interesting that the topology/exposure (North) of the golf side would be great for a ski area. Could be some sweet long green/blue trails over there. Too bad they didn't put ski trails on that side too!
Mountain Masher
March 14, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I don't see how WG is going to make it until Mar. 25. By the time that this warm spell (and possible rain) is over, not much base will be left. And, keep in mind that more mild temps (and possible showers) will return next week. In another week, about all that you're likely to see at WG is brown.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?