13 posts
8 users
3k+ views
MadMonk
March 10, 2007
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Flew out 3/5 and skied 3/6-8.

Stayed at the Carriage House Condos in Park City (Prospector Square). Decent little 1br condo for $140/night.

3/6 - Solitude. Got to the base a bit before 9. The snow was in pretty good shape for most of the day despite temps in the 40s. About the only thing that go chewed up was Sunshine Bowl which got a bit icy towards the end of the day. Didn't try Honeycomb as the snow in the trees seemed a bit crusty and heavy. Combine that with the fact I was skiing in just a sweater (left my shell at the condo) and I felt that fall would leave me pretty cold and wet.

3/7 Park City - Surprisingly the snow was in very good shape for most of the day. Things go hot (the temp at the base of King Con was 60 around 2pm). The heat softened up the snow but didn't become unmanageable at any point. The runs off of McKonkey's and Thaynes were really fun in the soft snow.

3/8 - Alta. I awoke to a light dusting of snow on the car in Park City. I saw that Alta had reported 4 inches. Arrived at Alta in the middle of a snowstorm. I'm guessing that they received another couple inches or so by 10am (not powder, but heavier spring type snow). My Dad had never skied in any type of ungroomed fresh snow before so we stuck to the greens. He tired out and I went out to play. Vail Ridge was just great. A few turns in nice untracked snow until the trees and then knee deep fun until the runout. I then did a few runs off Supreme ducking into the trees when I could as stuff was getting very tracked and my legs were getting very tired. That ended my day and I was happy and satisfied.

I already can't wait to go back again. I hope I can organize a group of 10-12 people and rent a house in Big Cottonwood.
KevR
March 11, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
They don't have the snow they had last year... I don't know if they'll get a turn around any time soon but further warm temps are turning the place into a slush pile...
fishnski
March 11, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I just looked at a ski area report for Utah..63 to 69 for highs this week....Jimmi Just got back from ..(I'm Sure an expensive but good trip)...Utah & it snowed gangbuster powder in WV while he was there! I went for a week to Vail/Beaver Ck & whatched it dump on the WV Alpps. We have a Gem of a mountain in our own Backyard.... Mount Porte Crayon...Job Knob(Tory)is another one.There has been Nearly 0 support from DC ski & the developer & Owner could very well have taken this into account.......Wake Up People! A new area at MPC will not Screw the area up...It will just keep some of Jimi's & a whole lot of other peoples money & TIME in our own GLORIOUS Backyard.......It reminds me of a trip last June to the Bahamas When I realized That My Beaches back home were the BOMB!!!!
MadMonk
March 11, 2007
235 posts
Skiing is in large part a weather crapshoot that forces one to play the odds. The odds are that you'll enjoy much better skiing conditions in Utah, Colorado, etc than you will in WV. Despite the fact that I had 60 degree weather one day in Park City, it was still a blast - especially when you consider the variety of terrain.

That being said, I generally enjoy Snowshoe and Whitetail. They have some decent runs, just not enough of them and not enough other types of terrain (trees, bowls, etc.).
crunchy
March 11, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
thanks for the report, lets hope for a little turn-around in the temps out there because im planning on being in SLC in 2.5 weeks
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
OK, Mr. fisnski, how do we voice support for Tory or MPC development; who do we contact?
The Colonel
Roger Z
March 11, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Yeah I've got a trip to Wolf Creek in two weeks that is beginning to look... slushy. It's a late March trip so you take your chances, and who can really complain about crystal clear blue skies on the Continental Divide in the spring? It's just that my trips this year did not work out for powder, so I'm holding out hope for some Pacific moisture to turn on very, very soon.

Incidentally, the NOAA said a La Nina was forming. How does that influence weather typically? Doesn't that usually create dry conditions out west?
crunchy
March 12, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
well, don't give up hope! we are talkin 2 weeks away. things can change mighty fast out there

Quote:

Incidentally, the NOAA said a La Nina was forming. How does that influence weather typically? Doesn't that usually create dry conditions out west?

here is a report on historical nino/nina effects on snowfall that someone did. Snowfall Effects of El Nino/La Nina
Roger Z
March 12, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Thanks for the upbeatness! I'm surprised Wolf Creek is only mildly affected. Right now it is being "mildly" affected, as is Taos. You're right, things can change quickly, but like I said, even if it doesn't, can you really complain about blue skies and 45-50 degree temps on the Continental Divide in late March?
tempfishnski
March 12, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
You just did! Thank you for you support! I will say this Colonel..be careful, it is not DCSKI Correct to voice this Support.MPC up & running this year would have been a mental Threat to the Utah Crowd.The western Areas will always be the place to go but the money & time spent going there would be a little disturbing especially when you would be leaving a 2000' vert area with some bomb Rearend conditions This is the wrong thread for this though...Carry on you all!
KevR
March 13, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Hold on, who said it wasn't great skiing? The mid-week crowd was non-existent, the weekends were a bit packed due local pent up demand from a bit of new snow and lots of fresh snow the week before.

I'd just bring a mix of clothes, some for warmer weather and watch the reports closely before leaving. Typically these areas can still get significant snowfall through out April, so you may wake up to freshies one day too...

Further I might tend to head towards the higher elevation resorts if one had any choice in the matter...

If not, do not worry... you'll still have a blast.
jimmy
March 13, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Colonel you asked about the new peruvian chair at Snowbird; we were there Friday 3/9, bluebird skies, super snow from the previous day. They were having a Freeskiing Contest on/in the North Chute below the tram, must've been 700 people set up like festival seating at a concert watching skiers from all over the world, sponsor tents, snowball fights really cool scene.... anyways the high speed makes access very easy and has really incresed the traffic in Peruvian, the tunnel is cool but we only used it to get to Mineral Basin, one trip over, spent some time there and skied back out thru Little Cloud, Road to Provo was a double black that afternoon. Here's something i never noticed b4, found this ravine off bassackwards, skiers right of Gad2 lift. The sign at the gate warned that the terrain was ~inbounds but not on the trail map, enter at your own risk~ or something to that effect. The ravine dumped you into the trees and the out was to traverse thru the trees or down thru some steep deep bumps back onto bassackwards, very isolated, pretty cool.

Thursday 3/8 at The Canyons, got to ski around the new(used) Dreamcatcher lift, and most everywhere else, with RocketMan(Crush). The whole dream scape/daybreak area was full of heavy new snow, the 2" on the report was more like boottop deep, very little traffic, we had a blast . The glades along the lift looked very steep from the chair and they have gates lower down to get in or you can enter from the top. That's always been my favorite area at the canyons, new terrain makes it even better.
MadMonk
March 13, 2007
235 posts
Jimmy, glad to hear about the new area at The Canyons as that's been my favorite part of that area each time I've visited.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?