Any 7S reports from DCSki?
4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
wolverine
March 4, 2007
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Any new articles about 7S? Any contact with the new owners?
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 6, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

Any new articles about 7S? Any contact with the new owners?

I have recently sent Seven Springs e-mail asking to be placed on their press release distribution list, but have not heard back. (Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that's happened. I can't remember receiving a press release or question reponses from Seven Springs, going back a few years.) I do get the sense that they either have no idea DCSki exists, or simply don't care.

Their web site doesn't show any news releases published since January. I am always happy to publish Firsthand Report contributions from guest authors if anyone would like to write up a trip report from Seven Springs.
wolverine
March 9, 2007
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Since the beginning of last month, DCSki has published six articles about Whitetail and none on 7S. Maybe you could contact Lawrence Walsh at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and find out how he gets his info. I heard Bob Nutting is interested in getting the word out about new stuff at 7S to the DC area. I'd love to hear an interview with Mr. Nutting (you somehow got Kettler to be interviewed). I read nice articles about next year's new Gunnar high speed six pack and the superpipe (have you seen it?)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07048/762864-287.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07042/760609-287.stm
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 9, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Seven Springs is close to Pittsburgh. Whitetail is close to Washington, D.C. -- the city that lends its name to "DCSki", and the city that most of DCSki's writers are based in. I am not surprised that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette would have more stories about Seven Springs than DCSki. How many stories has the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette had about Whitetail?

Look, there's no conspiracy here to favor one resort over another. I have tried contacting Robert Duppstadt and others at Seven Springs on several occasions asking Seven Springs to forward press releases to DCSki. I have never received a reply. Haven't received a single press release in a decade. Seven Springs is not alone in this respect; some resorts send info almost daily, others none at all. That is entirely the right of each resort; I'm happy to hunt and peck for information on a resort's web site, if they have an on-line media room. The Seven Springs web site does not list a press release about the new high-speed six pack anywhere in its Press Room section (as far as I can tell). With 34 ski resorts to cover during limited hours late at night (the only time I have to work on DCSki), I can't exactly beg and plead resorts to submit information, and I can't be calling them on the phone at 1 a.m. I don't charge any resorts for coverage, and it's not my fault if they don't take advantage of free avenues of publicity such as DCSki. I do the best I can.

As for the interview with Hidden Valley Resort's Jim Kettler, that interview was possible because Jim had opened a direct line of contact with DCSki. In fact, Hidden Valley was one of the first resorts to contact DCSki after DCSki launched in 1997 -- Jim stumbled across the site and sent me a personal note expressing his enthusiasm for the new web publication and offering to provide info or answer questions, which he's done in a prompt fashion any time I've tossed a question his way.

Thankfully, the DCSki Message Forums cover a broad range of topics and hit many topics that aren't covered in news articles. If you follow the forums you will know that there have been over 30 posts in the past month alone covering topics related to Seven Springs, including the new lift. And you can be sure that DCSki will describe details of upcoming enhancements to Seven Springs and other resorts this summer and fall in our "What's New for 2008" series -- just as we do each year.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.