Tline current conditions?
27 posts
8 users
7k+ views
crunchy
March 2, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
anyone been to TLine in the past few days that can give an accurate report on the conditions? I certainly dont want to drive 3+ hrs to get the same conditions I got at whitetail yesterday, which was like skiing in a slush puppy or slurpee. Im almost tempted to hit killington or something, but thats a long ass drive when you are rollin' solo. Just trying to pass time till utah at the end of the month
fishnski
March 2, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Don't be stupid you Moron! ..Of course TL will have the best conditions within a 4 hour dr of you!...But thats not the question So that makes me a moron We are even...just havin fun now that another week is over! TL will have some cold air & snow moving in for the next couple of days ...GET IT WHILE THE GETTINS GOOD
crunchy
March 2, 2007
596 posts
awesome. im gonna try and hit it sunday I guess. I probbaly would tommorrow, but i saw that the ohio valley ski council is gonna be there with like 16 ski clubs or something?
wvrocks
March 2, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
I was there from about 10 till 1 today. The rain glaze was brutally hard this morning. It began to soften around noon, especially in higher traffic areas. It was getting pretty good by 1. If they are able to groom tonight it should be nice for the weekend. Especially if we get a little snow tonight.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I'll be at Timberline on Monday (taking advantage of the $35/night midweek rates at Cannan Lodge) and I'll be at Cannan Valley Ski area Sunday afternoon following my drive from NOVA. Anybody else going to be at either place on either day? Maybe we could ski a few runs together.
The Colonel
fishnski
March 3, 2007
3,530 posts
I think I screwed up I'm Such a snow freak I balked at this weekend in hopes that the "Blizzard of 07" will hit later this month. Looking at the picnic tables on TL's webcam with a fresh inch layer & cking the f-cast(3 to 6) It hit me this morn that the next few days are the only Ga-run-teed(off) great conditions for the rest of the season...Colonel..with those rates at Canaan I was telling my Fiancee for life that it would be better to stay there than our own home we have near the valley!...The lady I talked to at Canaam told me that if you don't ask about the special you don't get it. Wonder how many folks shelled out $90 not knowing?...PS.A few mondays ago the lady at the ticket window at Canaan only gharged us $15 for the whole day! She screwed up...Think I should go back & pay up
crunchy
March 3, 2007
596 posts
as of now, Im planning on being there sunday myself. Im hoping to get there late this afternoon skiing a few hours a tline, then find a cheap place to stay and catch the band at the purple fiddle and ski all day sunday.
fishnski
March 3, 2007
3,530 posts
You Got Chains Crunchy? Dolly sods & TL Cams show it DUMPING ...I'm ...Wait a Minute..the suns peaking back out. That was a 40 min Snow squall...Tis the season for them.....I bet it does this all day.
crunchy
March 3, 2007
596 posts
no, but i got the audi quattro, and the way it handled that storm sunday night on prez-day weekend leaving tline, there doesnt seem much short of 12" that it can't readily handle
March 3, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Cannan Lodge midweek rates are now available on line. A little more than a week ago I called to make sure they had been extended into March because they were not appearing on-line. They goofed, and while I was talking to the reservationist the situation was corrected. The low rates appear as "35th Anniversary Rate".
DCSkiers should identify themselves as DCSkiers and let them know you heard about the low rates on line (we ought to do this whereever we ski and stay to build up DCSki influence/buying power and maybe more adverstisers for Scott.)
The Colonel
fishnski
March 3, 2007
3,530 posts
The Crunch Master will be hitting pure & fresh Pow Pow Tomorrow Morn & the Colonel will have as good conditions as can be had on mon...This is it till further notice...the Sun is getting higher & the WV Alpps are South of the Mason Dixon.... BUTTTTT we are talkin the Alpps!Snowing Real good Right now & well into Sun. Hopefully there will only be a short Spring warmup & then a Great Snowy luau!!!........Whats that about making snow on another thread??..Mother nature is hooking the Highlands up
crunchy
March 3, 2007
596 posts
the fresh pow has already been hit, my friend! just got back from a few hours skiing before they kicked me out Man, all the way here it was like almost 50 degrees, and as soon as I got to Harman then temp dropped damn fast to 30 and it started snowing and hasnt really stopped since. Id say theres a good 3-4" of freshness and deeper where the wind has drifted it. They dont have all the trails open at night, but I couldnt resist cutting thru the glades to hit some untouched runs. Lets hope we get some more freshies over night

Colonel, id recommend not waiting till 11 to leave. get here at 9 for the freshies that are still piling up!

ok.. Im off to have a few tasty microbrews and tunes at the Purple Fiddle
crunchy
March 3, 2007
596 posts
purple fiddle mission had to be aborted a few miles of driving in a whiteout is all I could take, and the wind is blowin so hard it covers up any tire tracks from other cars, so its hard to navigate the road! thank goodness i packed a few oakbarrel stouts
crunchy
March 4, 2007
596 posts
woke up and its still snowing up here! still pretty windy so its hard to tell how much accumulation there is because of the drifts, but its light and fluffy since its about 18 degrees right now! if the winds settle down a bit its gonna be a perfect day. Hard to believe it was almost 60 degrees when i left NoVa yesterday! now all I have to decide is if I wanna hit Tline again or Canaan today.

dcski get your arses up here!
fishnski
March 4, 2007
3,530 posts
You Da Man..Hope you didn't get too Crunchy last nite..Time to ski! 8.1 snow total for the last 31 hours....a couple more to go. Too bad its blowing so hard. Watching a preview of Epic Conditions on the weather channel, they were saying that the best powder is formed when allowed to fall lightly with 0 wind. Its inside the Trees at Steamboat where the Champagne powder lays.Have a goodin & when you leave the Valley on the way to Harman could you stop at my place & shovel off my driveway I'm down by the Golden Anchor...Cks in the Mail Buddy
March 4, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Sunday evening...
Snowed a(flurries, Canaan style!)ll day at Canaan. Awesome conditions. Great skiing, especially sweet on the narrow trails in the woods. Flurries are supposed to continue through Tuesday. If you can get out, come on up and enjoy! I'll be at Timberline tomorrow.
The Colonel
fishnski
March 4, 2007
3,530 posts
Now you can go back to Canaan resort & go Ice Skating ...Just Yoking..you earned your hot Pizza tonite! Looking at some weather obs I see there was a 40MPH gust at 815am & another one at 1245pm..remember them The temp at the top of the Mtn maybe reached 16 & the base might have hit 19 or 20. Hope you Dressed warm Sir !! Those Canaan Vly Flurries sure looked like someone was throwing cottonballs across the Dolly Sods Cam at times!
crunchy
March 4, 2007
596 posts
it pained me not stay another night, because when the lifts closed today it was still snowing and the conditions just got better and better throughout the day. Total deja vu from presidents weekend storm. And no lift lines to speak of all day. there is a lot of deep pow that the colonel is going to enjoy tomorrow for sure

hell, with the 7 day outlook... i wouldn't be surprised if im back next weekend.
kwillg6
March 5, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Hey guys, in looking at the forcast.....it's gonna be typical March in the valley. Should have freshies most of the week. Long term looks promising as well. If ya don't go there and ski it ya just don't believe it!
crunchy
March 5, 2007
596 posts
hell yes, and reading the tline snow report this morning, you cant really believe that either. 2" in the last 24hrs? pfft. this pic (crappy phone cam) was from sunday morning and kept snowing all day.

Im gonna try and go back tues/wed if I can get off work
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 5, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Just back! Skied Sat. night, Sunday, and this morning. I left at 12:40 today and it was snowing lightly.

This was the best skiing of the year at Timberline. It rocked! Everything was open. Today, it was like Yellowstone Club: PRIVATE POWDER!!!! Everything except DROP was groomed packed powder with powder off-piste and on DROP. Epic. Awesome. Wonderful. Take your mental health day(s) now and go. NOW IS THE TIME TO SKI THE LINE. Today, I skied every trail and never saw a soul on the slope. It was some of the best skiing I've ever experienced in the Mid-Atlantic.....My wife kicked it into over-drive and skied faster than me--very rare for her. It was hero conditions all the way and then some...
crunchy
March 5, 2007
596 posts
yeah man!

managed to get off work the next 2 days and go back cause im jonesin hard for more of that pow. Hopefully some dcski folks will be goin also, so we can meet up and ski! Im tellin ya.. take a freakin sick day.. you will NOT regret it!!
Redman
March 6, 2007
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
John,
Sounds like you need to get up on the hill a little more often. CV has had those conditions since they dropped the ropes the 3rd weekend in January. My calender has the status of Goin' Off to EPIC written on it for 7 consecutive weekends!!! Not to mention Super EPIC on the Prez 4 day.
tgd
March 6, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Agreed!! This period, from Mid-January through this weekend (and counting), shall hereby be known as "The Stretch". Seasonal snowfall totals and Whitegrass "Skiable days" will never tell the true story of "The Stretch" - Let's talk about 7 straight weeks of serious Winter in the Valley. Something like 10' of snow over those seven weeks, a handful of days where the temp reached above freezing. The official Valley weather watcher at Canaan Heights recording something like 50 consecutive days with a natural SNOWPACK over 1'-2' throughout the Valley. Every weekend there have been simply superlative conditions. Us Valley regulars laugh at threads like "Will they blow" - ha! there is so much snow at Timberline and CV why would they even think of blowing? 100% open - steeps, glades, parks, everything. Whitegrass report - SKI ANYWHERE YOU WANT TO. Sorry John, have to agree with the Redman - this weekend was just another ho-hum AWESOME one in the Valley. Long live "The Stretch" - it continues to continue - at least through Friday - but latest forecast is trending colder again. Rain forecast for Friday-Sun is now Rain/Snow. Pattern is repeating??? Hope so. I'm beginning to sound like Andy.

Tom
fishnski
March 6, 2007
3,530 posts
I'll tell you what TGD..I got 2/3 thru your post & I Thought..Is this my post? Was I Drunk Last nite? & then I got to your Finish & had a Laugh!....Long Live The Alpps! Bring On Almost Heaven!....Just Say NOOOOO To MTN MASH!....He will pop up next week to remind us that We Will Be Above Ave, temp wise
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 6, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I was at Timberline last weekend and this weekend and Monday was absolutely one of the best days I have had there in 7 years of skiing the place. There's something about Monday at Timberline after 6 inches of new snow that is unbeatable. No people + great snow = a superlative ski experience.
March 6, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I also skied the Valley on Sunday and Monday. FANTASTIC!
I filed a report about Canaan on Sunday afternoon, skied in the woods there for the first time.
And on Monday at Timberline....lots of freshies on top of a hard base. Rarely heard the scrunch of ice under my skies, and it snowed all day, with a horrendous wind, esp. at the top, so all the trails had a side where the windblown snow piled up, sometimes into drifts. It was cold!!! I went into the ski shop to buy some toe warmers and the clerk indicated a run for toe warmers was underway...by late afternoon the sun peeked out and felt oh, so good! I only got in about 11,000 vert feet of skiing primarily due to need to warm up and the slow Timberline lifts. But on the slopes it was great, on most runs I was nearly by myself. Never stood in a lift line even though nearly every chair had someone in it. They only ran the original triple to the top. Off the Wall slope was groomed and sweet, but the bottom turn onto Lower Salamander and into the wind was enough to nearly stop me in my tracks. Saw some great skiers and boarders; I am sure that one was John!! I skied Twister only one time because the strong wind was in my face nearly all of the top half of the run. I like the way it twists and undulates. For my last run I chose White Lightening, but the best run of the day was my next to last, Almost Heaven, which I had to myself as I skied down swooping from side to side while singing(?) John Denver's "Almost Heaven, West Virginia" at the top of my lungs. Probably good there was not a crowd!!
I echo John's comments, it was one of my best days ever at Timberline.
The Colonel
PS: I noticed signs throughout the Valley touting Salamander at Timberline as being the longest trail in the MidAtlantic. But I wonder if this is really true, since Salamander is not one trail but two..Upper and Lower. So for Timberline to have the longest trail, one or the other would have to stand alone, and I doubt either can make it alone as the longest. You live by the sword...splitting trails into non discernable segments simply to enhance the trail count...you die by the same sword when you boast!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.