snowshoe close date?
6 posts
5 users
2k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 27, 2007
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
What is the normal closing date at the shoe?
skier219
February 27, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Look at their snow report:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain/win-mountain/snowreport-2006w.htm

They are saying April 8 this year.

Last year it was around April 1-2. The year before it was around April 10-11 if I remember right.
skiTLINE
February 27, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Quote:

Look at their snow report:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain/win-mountain/snowreport-2006w.htm

They are saying April 8 this year.

Last year it was around April 1-2. The year before it was around April 10-11 if I remember right.

Must be due to Global Warming
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 28, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Snowshoe used to stay open for longer periods, but that was for PR purposes. For the last three or so years, the resort has had the second weekend in April as the official closing date if weather permits.

I will say, having skied at the Shoe till the last chair closes, that the official closing date is predicated not on the lack of snow, but on the fact that most everyone in the population centers that are the core of Snowshoe's business, flips a switch around this date and thinks of bicycling, hiking, kayaking, and getting buff for beach time, instead of attaching boards to their feet and sliding down a snow-covered mountain. Last year, if there had been snowmaking later in the season, S/S could have stayed open until late April. Three years ago, I went hiking at the Shoe in late April but couldn't because of the snow, which lasted until May. But again, it is not a good business practice to keep a resort open when nobody comes.
bawalker
February 28, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Don't mention resort closing dates, I've only gotten out on the slopes twice this year.
skier219
February 28, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
It is disappointing to see the resorts scale back and close because of the lack of business, not lack of snow. I have been at a couple resorts on closing day, and seen enough snow to go another 2-3 weeks at least. I would ski every day of the year if I could, as I suspect many here would. Unfortunately we are not the core customers!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.