Top 5 Ski Brands
8 posts
6 users
3k+ views
langleyskier
February 21, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I am writing an evaluation paper comparing the 5 largest ski brands in the country for my english class. I was wondering if anyone knows in order from largest to smallest what are the top 5 big name ski brands? The draft for the paper is kinda due friday so i need to get cracking on this paper so any insight would be greatly appreciated! I'll try and post the paper in this thred when/if:p it is completed.
SkiBumMSP
February 21, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

I am writing an evaluation paper comparing the 5 largest ski brands in the country for my english class. I was wondering if anyone knows in order from largest to smallest what are the top 5 big name ski brands? The draft for the paper is kinda due friday so i need to get cracking on this paper so any insight would be greatly appreciated! I'll try and post the paper in this thred when/if:p it is completed.

Are you talking just regular alpine (downhill) ski brands? I guess this could easily be expanded to also include the top 5 snowboard outfits.

Anyway, in no particular order, these seems to be the top five brands, at least these are the brands I seem to see the majority of people wearing on the hill. This is purely a guess on my part from what I typically see out on the hill (I'll let you do the research (Google is your friend) to find out who they actually are and what order they are - I am not going to do your school assignment for you! But I'll at least help you get started):

1: Atomic
2: Volkl
3: Elan (seems alot of rental equipment is this brand)
4: Rossignal
5: Dynastar
SpringsRegular
February 21, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
I would say more K2 than elan or dynastar.
tommo
February 21, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
It depends on what you mean by "brands" and by "largest" - several companies market numerous brands. For example, Rossignol has long owned Dynastar, and they are now brands of Quicksilver, who also owns Roxy (guess what the origins of Roxy skis are?) They also own Lange, Look and Cleveland golf. Likewise, K2, Volkl, Marker, Morrow, Liquid, 5150 and Ride are all brands of the same company. (Not to mention Worth, Rawlings, Miken, Sheakspear and several other brands.) Salomon was part of Addidas Group along with Taylor Made golf stuff, and Addidas shoes, etc.... But now they are part of Amer Sports who also owns Atomic and Wilson and Suunto.

Next, by biggest do you mean by revenue or units or market position? K2, for example, ranks its position in the US as #1 for alpine skis and bindings, and #2 for snowboards and snowboard bindings. I presume that is by revenue based on info in their annual report.

So, with that said, your biggest brands are probably K2/Volkl, Rossignol/Dynastar/Roxy, and then Salomon/Atomic. For actual brand unit breakdowns, you may try some industry marketing publications....
tommo
February 21, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
To clarify:

K2 Inc - K2, Volkl

Amer Sports - Salomon, Atomic

Quicksilver - Rossignol, Dynastar, Roxy

From a corporate perspective, the revenue is usually broken down by product group, so in Quicksilver case for example, the Revenue for all 3 brands are part of the same slice of the pie. And, in most cases, the skis are all made in the same factories.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
And are you talking about skis made in the US, the parent company being a US corp., or brand of ski regardless where made of where corp. headquarters is located?
Answers will differ widely depending on the basis of your research and question.
The Colonel
The Colonel
langleyskier
February 21, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
thanks for all the help but i decided to change my topic to an evaluation of lobbying in america. there was just not enough easily accessible information to help me write this paper in such a short time also, it was apparent to me that most of the ski manufacturers produce very similar products (not b look but performance) and it comes down to more personal preference than anything else.
Leo
February 22, 2007
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Plus, since the paper is due Friday and you didn't even know who the "top" five brands are, you were really sort of fighting an uphill battle.

Lobbying is also probably a sticky wicket. What are the top five lobbying industries? This would be my guess:

Oil/Energy
Defense
Insurance
Legal/Accounting
Wal Mart

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?