3 posts
2 users
1k+ views
DavidFleming
February 19, 2007
Member since 09/28/2006 🔗
52 posts
Hey folks,

This past Saturday, February 17, the WVAngler.com Dinner was held in Flatwoods, WV. They invited me to talk to them about the Snowshoe/Slatyfork sewer plant issue.

The dinner was great, the company fantastic, and their mutual concern for the welfare of the Elk River Watershed and the Slatyfork area was as deep, sincere and heartfelt as any can be.

It was a pleasure and an honor to speak with them. Many thanks WVAngler.com!! :-)

The talk I gave, called "The Charge of Pocahontas", is now available on the website:

"The Charge of Pocahontas"
http://www.SaveTheSharpFarm.com/blog/showChapter.php?chapter=theChargeOfPocahontas

As always, if you have any questions just email me at fleming42@gmail.com.

Thanks, and take care. :-)

DF
skier219
February 20, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
David, thanks for sharing -- that was a very well thought out and written piece. I have been following this issue and also just read an article about it in the WVHC newsletter. Do you have any suggestions about how Snowshoe skiers/customers can get involved in a meaningful way? Frankly, I think the proposed sewage project epitomizes everything that is bad/evil about Snowshoe, and detracts from the few good things they do for the local environment/community.

Craig
DavidFleming
February 23, 2007
Member since 09/28/2006 🔗
52 posts
Hey Craig, thanks so much for reading and following this issue.

Indeed I do have some suggestions that Snowshoe skiers and customers can put to use; two suggestions. First, here is some contact info:

------------------------------------------
Bill Rock
General Manager of Snowshoe
Phone (direct line): (304) 572-5990
Pocahontas County Commission
Phone: (304) 799-6063
Email: pocahontascc@sunlitsurf.com
James Carpenter, President
Reta Griffith, Member
Martin Saffer, Member
Note: Mr. Saffer is the only member presently opposed to eminent domain. Mr. Carpenter and Ms. Griffith are for taking the Sharp Farm site and/or building on the Elk River.
WV Governor Joe Manchin III
Phone: 1-888-438-2731
Contact Online: http://www.wvgov.org/sec.aspx?id=36
The Pocahontas Times
Phone: (304) 799-4973
Email: pepritt@pocahontastimes.com (Pamela Pritt, Editor)

My first suggestion would be for concerned patrons of Snowshoe to let them know about it. Call Bill Rock, call/email the county commission, fill out the contact form for Governor Manchin, and email The Pocahontas Times with your letters of concern. Shoot, if you're up on the Mountain for some skiing, inquire with guest services about how you can leave your comments with Mr. Rock.

My second suggestion would be to populate the "pool" of letters on SaveTheSharpFarm.com with fresh ones for others to mail out in their names. The letters there now are only by me, and are getting kind of old; several have been sent. It would be fantastic to see the "voice" of Snowshoe patrons represented in a letter or two on the website that others could mail out also.

This project is ongoing and is certainly not beyond sensible change. It is important to keep Snowshoe and officials in-the-know on how many are opposed to what is presently planned. Any contacts you can make with officials is of great benefit, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Craig, and keep your questions coming to me at fleming42@gmail.com. Take care. :-)

DF

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.