Is Roundtop worth extra 40 min drive this weekend
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Vadim
February 16, 2007
Member since 01/31/2007 🔗
4 posts
I have never been to Roundtop, but wonder if it is expected to have much less crowd this weekend than Whitetail where we usually go for a day trip.
We are planning on going on this Sunday, and we are usually on intermediate slopes or the park. Are the crowds in Whitetail this weekend expected to be much worse than Roundtop to justify extra 40 min drive to get to supposedly less crowdy Roundtop?

Vadim.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 16, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Welcome.
I'd say it would be a little less crowded. Possibly Monday would be the best day for that, and early or late is always best. Also consider Bryce Mtn in VA, not much smaller than Roundtop (which definitely skis smaller than Whitetail) and good for low intermediates. Bryce never crowded, but only a few park features.
Coach13
February 16, 2007
Member since 12/16/2003 🔗
56 posts
Quote:

I have never been to Roundtop, but wonder if it is expected to have much less crowd this weekend than Whitetail where we usually go for a day trip.

Yes, it is worth it this weekend, and most others as well.
langleyskier
February 16, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I have thought the same thing a few times and have gone to roundtop insted of WT because of that. But every time i do i seem to regret the decision because even though the lift lines at WT can be painfully long, it is till a high speed and has an extra 300 ft of vertical which really does make the difference (and i find the variation of trails at WT much more enjoyable than at RT where they are all pretty much a straight shot down). Also, the extra 40 mins is horribly painful because coming back to the DC area you pretty much stay on that one road the whole time.... that being said, RT is a nice place and a lot of fun, but i would not recommend going for the "smaller crowds"

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.