The Place to BE
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
TomH
February 15, 2007
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
The place to be this weekend is Vermont or upstate NY. Stowe had the following warning on their website today:

ATTENTION, PLEASE! AVALANCHE WARNING! Stowe Mountain Rescue has issued an advisory that anybody considering travel in the backcountry should be alert to extemely high avalanche danger, due to the recent heavy snowfall. With continued cold temperatures forecasted, it is expected that these conditions will continue through the weekend into next week.
__ __ __

Never seen anything like that before. But I guess 3-4 feet in a day and a half and then high winds isn't something we see in the East that often either.
tromano
February 15, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
This is legit. If you are going to North VT, be very careful. Current snow pack sounds very unstable. People have been killed in recent years by slides on Mansfield.

TRG thread from early this week before the storm...

TGR thread from today on this issue

Bushwacker was warning me about stability here in the midatlantic.

Just from my own info touring arround, south facing slopes in Laurel Mtn area were VERY sun crusted before the storm from sun and wind effects. We will have to see what the stability is like right now because of snow that fell from the cold dry wrap around.
Ullr
February 15, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Yea, I just got back from Gore on Sunday. Skied on hardpack and ice all week
TerpSKI
February 18, 2007
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Quote:

The place to be this weekend is Vermont or upstate NY. Stowe had the following warning on their website today:

ATTENTION, PLEASE! AVALANCHE WARNING! Stowe Mountain Rescue has issued an advisory that anybody considering travel in the backcountry should be alert to extemely high avalanche danger, due to the recent heavy snowfall. With continued cold temperatures forecasted, it is expected that these conditions will continue through the weekend into next week.
__ __ __

Never seen anything like that before. But I guess 3-4 feet in a day and a half and then high winds isn't something we see in the East that often either.

I had the week off and talked the wife into going up to Vermont for a few days on Monday. Booked a room at the Round Barn Inn in Waitsfield and planned to ski Sugarbush and MRG Tuesday-Thursday.

Wow what luck; 3-4 feet of near Colorado quality pow!

Wednesday during the storm was unbelievable, no wind and decent visiblity and 12" by 11:00 (more added thru the day).

Thursday was a bit of a disappointment at S-Bush since only one lift open + the layout conspired against the skiers to keep most of the mountain closed (Castlerock chair opened later but you had a long hike to get there) Still what was available was epic. MRG was reportedly 100% open but they had a 1-hour wait for the single chair.

Friday we skied MRG and had a great time skiing sweet soft bumps and what leftover pow we could find. For those who haven't been, MRG (Mad River Glen) is a fantastic old-time place, The single chair was a really unique experience.

Best snow I have ever skied on in the east, and the best skiing of the year anywhere I skied this year (incl. Colorado & Jackson Hole)

Strange year to say the least.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
From a friend in VT
http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0702C&L=SKIVT-L&T=0&O=A&P=5468

My daughter, son-in-law and Grandson went to MRG to ski through the storm. It took them 2 1/2 hrs. to get there, normally a 40 min. drive. The single closed shortly after 2 because the patrol could not shovel the unloading area fast enough. It snowed 5-6" per hour most of the day with major drifting. They had a fantastic time.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.