Oh come on'
12 posts
7 users
3k+ views
freshair1
February 15, 2007
Member since 01/25/2006 🔗
18 posts
Ohhh phewy! Not sure why my post aren't showing up. But this is try 3. I'd like to do a little snowboarding - I'm a novice and I will be a solo bird debating where to go. I'm thinking SnowShoe or I have family near Peak - n- Peak and I hear they have been hit with a lot of snow, but I understand its cold as ice - and I hate ice. I've not been to either place so haven't a clue to which is nicer for what I'm seeking. I hail near the Raleigh NC area and am just looking for a few days of great runs that might have a great board school so that I can shake the rust loose and check the terrain. Any ideas btwn these two or any others this time of the year? Thanks -joanna
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 15, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Might consider Wintergreen. Might be closer.
The Colonel
freshair1
February 15, 2007
18 posts
Wintergreen - I'll check it out, thank you very much. By chance have you ever played around at Peak n Peak in NY? My experiences have all been in Utah and Colorado country that is except for last year when I iced around at CV - eeck. I was thinking of riding Tuesday or Wed of this coming week and by passing the crowds from the holiday weekend.
Any other live ideas?
Roy
February 16, 2007
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Hi freshair,

You can also consider going to the Boone, NC area (Take I-40W to Hwy421W). Sugar Mtn is a decent sized place (compared to anywhere else near you) and Beech Mtn has Ladies Day on Tuesdays I think (Women ski free). Sugar probably has the better school.
freshair1
February 16, 2007
18 posts
I thought of those 2 joints but I also thought that the conditions would be fairly poor. Does anyone know how its been there this season or last couple weeks? When I was at CV last season, they had a lot of snow - but it was boarding on what i swear could have been a sloped ice rink - just awful. I don't mind driving too far as long as the conditions are better.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
IMHO, WG makes and groomes snow better, has a few nicer slopes, and handles crowds better, than the Boone area resorts, and I like the drive better. But it's really apples and oranges, WG is a big upscale inclusive resort while the NC places are generaly ski areas, are a little closer, and do have colder weather than WG especially in the early season. However, none of them are big enough to keep your attention all year, so you need to alternate. Try them all and see what you like, and include winterplace (WV) which is a half hour further than wintergreen. And remember that you are skiing in the south which is somewhat miraculous - a good attitude is essential
Mountain Masher
February 16, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
The thing that I like about Massanutten and WG is the weather, lots of sunny days when compared to 7-S and HV. Of course, the trade-off is lots of Spring-like conditions at Massanutten and WG during a typical ski season. 7-S and HV have a much colder climate and better snow, but, during a typical ski season, have MANY cloudy days, often times with very limited visibility. A lot of people don't realize it, but the Laurel Highlands of PA has a climate very similar to Seattle, Wash, with the only noteworthy difference being that the Laurel Highlands are colder in the Winter.
fishnski
February 17, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Canaan Valley has the same Amount of growing season as Fairbanks,AK..maybe a little shorter!
Roy
February 18, 2007
609 posts
Quote:

WG...handles crowds better

If it's a weekend, you can avoid the crowds at WG by staying on the blacks. The other lifts have always been a nightmare to me. During the week, however, all the places are pretty quiet (I believe freshair wanted to go during the week).

And I totally agree on the variety. Try 'em all. Variety is the spice of life
freshair1
February 18, 2007
18 posts
Thought I would check in and see what post came through on this thread. Ok - I can go to just one of these places Tuesday - Wed -and possibly Thursday. Which would be the best for this time frame?
WG
Snowshoe
Mans
Family in Northwestern Pa - so Peek'n peak
HT
...any ideas - need to take off tomorrow so I would appreciate all opinions ASAP. Many thanks and I'll be happy to post conditions and time to the group if anyone cares to know what I found. joanna
Roy
February 19, 2007
609 posts
Snowshoe will have more variety of slopes. And if you're going mid-week, check out their website. YOu can typically get good stay and ski packages at the top of the mountain.
kwillg6
February 19, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
The WV Alps have Epic conditions as we speak. Heavy pow-pow has created a very desirable base. However, ANYWHERE you go in the east will have some of that dreaded "fast snow" due to last week's storm. Peak & Peak should be very good. They have had good lake effects over the past few weeks. It may be your best bet for conditions.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.