New Six Pack at 7 Springs (Post Gazette)
6 posts
6 users
1k+ views
RobertW
February 14, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07042/760609-287.stm

I know that this has been confirmed by someone here, but this is the first mention I have seen of it outside of the resort. Don't know how I missed it on Sunday.
Mountain Masher
February 14, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
The new high-speed 6-Pack will make 7-S even more of a power player in the mid-Atlantic ski scene. And, it's much needed as the lifts on the back side of 7-S are painfully slow. The only other thing that 7-S needs is about 300 feet more vertical; of course, that will never happen as 7-S has probably maxed-out all of the available vertical.
Reisen
February 15, 2007
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
Good for 7S. I've been debating visiting 7S for years, and this might prompt me to go ahead and make the trip! We should reward resorts who invest in infrastructure that will make our experience more worthwhile...

Now someone explain to me why Snowshoe hasn't followed suit with a lift like Ballhooter, that routinely experiences 45 minute waits on weekend afternoons? I asked a ski patrol about the possibility of expanding to a six-pack, and he said it wasn't needed. This after spending 30 minutes in line. I'm sure "HE" thinks it's not needed because he has probably never actually waited in the line...
tromano
February 15, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

The new high-speed 6-Pack will make 7-S even more of a power player in the mid-Atlantic ski scene. And, it's much needed as the lifts on the back side of 7-S are painfully slow. The only other thing that 7-S needs is about 300 feet more vertical; of course, that will never happen as 7-S has probably maxed-out all of the available vertical.

This is a great move. The gunnar lift line services (theoretically) the entire north face and is their most crowded lift (in terms of wait time) on busy days.

The highspeed 6-pack will also change the face of the mountain. The far skiers left of 7S always has the best snow on the hill because it has no night skiing and it is limited by the two fixed grip tripples that service that part of thi mountain. Putting a high speed 6-pack will immediately knock down the snow conditions on Gunnar, Giant Steps, lost girl, and the adjoining natural snow areas and glades by a noticeable margin. However the wide trails should be able to accommodate the incread skier traffic. This might also be the first step toward additional trail expansion toward skiers left. I understand that there is some additional vertical available to 7S but it on the south side of the mountain.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 15, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
In addition to 300 more vertical, 7S could use a 27 to 35 degree trail. As I look at a topo map, I can see niether possiblity.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 15, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Reisen,
Not sure when you last were at Snowshoe. This year they added a new High Speed Quad, replacing the Widowmaker lift. They apparently plan on terrain expansion near this lift for next year.
Anyway, they now have two HS quads on the basin slide, which certainly decreases the lines at Ballhooter. And last I checked, 3 X 4 equals 2 X 6.
Enjoy,
The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?