Important Snowshoe/Slatyfork Sewer Update
1 post
1 user
DavidFleming
February 14, 2007
Member since 09/28/2006 🔗
52 posts
Howdy folks,

Two updates on the Snowshoe/Slatyfork Sewer Project (well, one on and one related):

--------------------------------------------------------
"Pocahontas Seeking Funding to Study Alternative Sites"
http://www.SaveTheSharpFarm.com/news/showChapter.php?chapter=pccSeekingFunding
"Repairing Dam Has Extra Challenge"
http://www.8RiversSafeDevelopment.com/news/showChapter.php?chapter=repairingDamHasExtraChallenge

If I might interject my thoughts concerning the search for an alternate site, I am skeptical.

In controversial projects, it is commonplace for proponents to create a ruse via a "bait and switch" approach, whereby the hope of a solution is presented falsely.

This tactic helps proponents kill 2 birds with 1 stone. First bird, it diffuses public opposition so that proponents can buy more time and operate with less scrutiny. Second bird, it creates a kind of alibi, so that proponents can later on say that they really, really tried but just couldn't come up with an alternative that was better.

Concerning the First Bird: the PSD is trying to "ram-rod" (to quote newly elected and opposing PCC member Mr. Martin Saffer) through a Site Coordinator position. Hence their desire for MORE TIME and LESS SCRUTINY.

Concerning the Second Bird: it is cheaper to spend $25,000 (the survey cost) than it is to incur the costs of redesigns, etc., should a different site be selected. And we well know that ALTERNATIVE SITES have been on the table since the beginning.

Frankly, past behavior of the PCC and PSD on this issue has consistently been in the face of public opinion, and for this I see no reason to extend the benefit of the doubt to them at this time.

While I hope this alternative site effort is sincere, only time will tell. And we can't spend that time hoping for the best. So be wary.

Thanks, and take care. :-)

DF

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?