Going Where This President's Day Weekend POLL
21 posts
12 users
4k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Here is the poll to see where all the DCSkiers are planning on going Feb.16-19. Be careful getting there and have fun!
The Colonel
jimmy
February 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Colonel, I've got a little road trip developing, Tline/CV/7Springs. You might consider adding Whitegrass to your next poll. Happy St. Valentine's Day!
February 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
You can vote for up to two places in the poll, I would suggest Timberline and Seven Springs. And a great idea about adding White Grass. Would love to join you somewhere for a couple of runs. Are you going heelless all weekend?
The Colonel
February 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Jimmy,
I tried to modify the poll and White Grass, but I apparently can not do this. I can modify my actual post, but not the poll, or at least I can not figure out how.
Scott...you out there? Help!
The Colonel
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Roger Z
February 14, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Taos!
jimmy
February 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Are you going heelless all weekend?

I never leave home without them, but it depends on which itch.....hee, i'm rhymin without tryin again...... i decide to scratch. Where you skiing? i'm hittin the "Gathering" sunday at 7s for sure.
SkiBumMSP
February 14, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
As you probably already know, I am going up to the Poconos this weekend. I am planning to ski Elk Mountain, Montage, and Blue Mountain.
February 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Jimmy,
I plan to try to be a part of the DCSki "gathering" at Seven Springs on the 18th. Do you have any details? Where-when to meet? Who is expected to try to be there? I have seen several mention trying to go!
Please reply with details, or let me know who is trying to organize this thing!
Thanks,
The Colonel
kwillg6
February 15, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Ahhhh! Elk is my favorite in the Poconos followed by Jack Frost. the conditions should be GREAT! Get to the hill early with the holiday weekend.
SkiBumMSP
February 15, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Ahhhh! Elk is my favorite in the Poconos followed by Jack Frost. the conditions should be GREAT! Get to the hill early with the holiday weekend.

Yeah, tell me about it! I am friggan stoked! According to thier website, Elk Mountain got something like 20 inches of freshies. Not only that, the forcast is saying a chance of more snow on Saturday, but man, it is going to be friggan cold! I don't think it is supposed to get more than 20 degrees all weekend up there.

I plan on hitting Elk on Saturday, Montage (Sno) on Sunday, and Blue Mountain on Monday on the way home. I'll be staying in Scraton literaly right across the highway from the base of Montage Can't frigga wait to get the hell out of work tommorrow and head straight up there! I am not looking forward to the drive up there, though.
TomH
February 15, 2007
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Elk on Friday, Plattekill on Saturday (they report 36"), Plattekill on Sunday, Elk on the way home Monday.
February 15, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Keep Posting...surely more DCSkiers are on the slopes this coming weekend! The poll is on page 1, first post.
The Colonel
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I'll be at WT on Sat. with my scout troop. Mon. is my choice and after looking at the storm history I am going to Blue Knob. I love the place when it has natural snow. The temp gradient during the storm was dramatic with Davis at 37 deg. and BK at 16. BK reports a storm total of 19". I'll be on Extrovert, Shortway, Edgeset, Rt. 66 on teles.
JohnL
February 16, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Well Denis, we'll try to leave sum for ya at BK.
SkiBumMSP
February 16, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Well, made it to Scranton, although it was tough going through Baltimore. That was one non-stop traffic jam - finally got through that mess after the Harbour Tunnel on 895. It took me a good hour plus just get from I-95 just north of DC until just past the Harbour tunnel. On the way up, friggan I-80 was shut-down as well (damn glad I did not go to Stroudsburgh, like I originally was planning. I'd be screwed trying to find another way to get there). I was also hear that part of I-78 and I-81 were also shut down. As a result, they were waiving the tolls on the NE extension of the turnpike. Might be interesting to get to Blue Mountain on Monday. I left work at 3:30 and did not make it here until nearly 11!

I could see Montage as I was getting off my exit to get to the Econolodge (friggan $36/night, and the place even has wireless internet!). It looked pretty sweet from what I could see, but it'll have to wait till Sunday. Well, tommorrow will be Elk Mountain (thankfully, I-81 north is opened). Some of the roads once you get off the interstate are still pretty dicey, though. And it is supposed to friggan snow tommorrow afternoon here. I hope the drive to get back from Elk Mountain does not turn out to be an adventure. And yes, there is some serious snow around here. There was easily a good two-plus feet of it right in the parking lot of the Econolodge!

Well, I'll definitly have to report in about Elk Mountain after done skiing tommorow!
scootertig
February 17, 2007
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I'm headed out west for the first time... Thanks to credit card miles and some nifty scheduling, it's costing me less to spend a week in Beaver Creek than it would to stick around these parts. I had started with a plan to go to Maine to ski Sugarloaf with friends, but that'll have to wait... Vail and BC are calling my name!

aaron
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2007
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Changed my mind. I'm headed for the Whitegrass backcountry; bringing my power boards just in case any of that nasty crust remains. The latest storm totals changed my mind.
JohnL
February 18, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Changed my mind. I'm headed for the Whitegrass backcountry; bringing my power boards just in case any of that nasty crust remains. The latest storm totals changed my mind.

Probably a good choice. Skied Blue Knob on Saturday (with JimK, TRomano and QueenOfTheSlopes.) Blue Knob received a lot a snow this past week (just a slight crust was evident) which made the base about as good as I've ever seen it. But BK got skied harder than I've ever seen due to the large crowds (relatively speaking to other areas but high for some of the narrow trails.) The first few runs down Lower Shortway were fantastic on Saturday, but a few hours later it was scraped bare. The cover degraded pretty quickly on the other natural snow trails (no trail would survive that traffic.) On out-of-the-way trails that I normally have to myself, there were packs of other skiers; there was one pack of about 8 ahead of us in Ditch Glades.

I'm very glad I hit Blue Knob on Saturday and not later in the weekend. It is a rockin' little mountain; I need to hit it more in the future.
Chad
February 19, 2007
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
hey i was at blue knob saturday as well. my first time, what a great place! i had the whole fam there (wife plus our four little ones). we had a great time. a nice local even took us on a tour over to stembogen. this is my new favorite trail in the mid-atl. my two oldest (8yr, 7yr) got a kick out of those funny "experts only" warning signs on the traverse. i couldnt get enough of the terrific powder on the edges of the lower part of "stemmy". we even took our youngest (22 months) for a couple of runs on the bunny hill. we will definitely be back.

tromano
February 19, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Probably a good choice. Skied Blue Knob on Saturday (with JimK, TRomano and QueenOfTheSlopes.) Blue Knob received a lot a snow this past week (just a slight crust was evident) which made the base about as good as I've ever seen it. But BK got skied harder than I've ever seen due to the large crowds (relatively speaking to other areas but high for some of the narrow trails.) The first few runs down Lower Shortway were fantastic on Saturday, but a few hours later it was scraped bare. The cover degraded pretty quickly on the other natural snow trails (no trail would survive that traffic.) On out-of-the-way trails that I normally have to myself, there were packs of other skiers; there was one pack of about 8 ahead of us in Ditch Glades.

I'm very glad I hit Blue Knob on Saturday and not later in the weekend. It is a rockin' little mountain; I need to hit it more in the future.

I think that this is part of blue knob's real issue. Narrow trails with limited natural snow cannot handle the masses without gettign seriously scraped bare. Get the natural snow trials early and ski the trees in the afternoon.

How was WG after the weekend storm?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 19, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
ski the narrow in am, then the gnar in pm. good plan

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?