What's up with the lift closings at Wintergreen?
4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
skier219
February 13, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Seems like the Blue Ridge Express must be non-operational for some reason. They are running the Logger's Alley lift (not normal for a weekday) and Lower Dobie/Diamond is closed, as well as the entire Highlands area. Anybody have more info?
SkiBumMSP
February 13, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I just checked the ski condition page on the Wintergreen site and see the Six-pack lift is not operating. I wonder if it is down due to maintenance. Would seem odd for them to close one of thier best sections during some of the best conditions the place probably has seen all year. I'll have to try to get down that way at least once this season.
skier219
February 14, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Sounds like the detachable lifts were closed due to freezing rain. Same issue at Snowshoe this morning. I forgot that these lifts are less robust in poor weather because of their higher speeds and the detachable aspect. High winds and freezing rain can shut them down due to safety concerns.
SkiBumMSP
February 14, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Sounds like the detachable lifts were closed due to freezing rain. Same issue at Snowshoe this morning. I forgot that these lifts are less robust in poor weather because of their higher speeds and the detachable aspect. High winds and freezing rain can shut them down due to safety concerns.

After hearing about the Snowshoe situation, I was thinking of the same thing. I just checked the snow conditions for Wintergreen, and they did have a message saying "Due to the winter storm last night, we will have a slow, delayed opening of the lifts and trails". Sounds like they were having icing problems with the six-pack due to the storm and just shut it down like you said, for safety concerns.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?