DCSki request
12 posts
6 users
1k+ views
KevR
December 29, 2003
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Scott, how much trouble would it be to change the weather tool, so that it gave one the option of putting in any of the mid-atlantic resorts, and then having the temp/snow info come up for it? Or perhaps any city/state or zip but maybe that would be not useful... ???

Would that be useful or just a way to burn up cycles?

comprex
December 30, 2003
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Well, www.weather.com already lets you put in city/state and ZIP. Trouble is, the weather reporting stations aren't at the ski hills.

Now, what does third-party weather give you that the on-ski-hill-site reporting doesn't? Two things that I can think of- a sense of greater trustworthiness and a more cogent long-range forecast.

The trust issue can't be helped short of setting up a duplicate set of weather stations.

How about requesting better long-range forecasts from the resorts themselves?

KevR
December 30, 2003
786 posts
I can also recommed http://www.snow-forecast.com/ (don't forget the dash!)

They seem to do a more than admirable job of predicting weather for resorts all over the world, including little 'ole Whitetail. BUT -- and this does suck, it costs $$ to get anything beyond the 3 day outlook which is mostly useless really.

BUT as for expense, 3 or 6 month membership doesn't seem really all that bad when it comes down to it.

The first year I found this it was free, then last year they converted to the pay model, and I ponied up and payed for 3 months I think.

Anyway, that's all FINE AND GOOD but it doesn't say a THING about SNOWMAKING potential.

Which is really what I am after... yes, I still can't get past the fact that we live in a warm climate with a tiny ski season...
:-(

MichaelB
December 31, 2003
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
You don't need fancy memberships that cost money. There is a wealth of info on the web about weather forecasting. The National Weather Service website will provide you with most of the information. There are computer models, at least a dozen websites (Accuweather, TWC, Local tv, etc.) and some fascinating weather prediction websites. I found several last year and one this year that has been able to predict the weather accurately a week or two away.

For instance, the next two weeks look very bleak for skiers in our area. There is a persistent Pacific jet in place that is delivering a storm track that begins in Calif. and tracks north thru the Great Lakes and until that pattern changes every system that comes thru here will be rain. There are no indications of change in the models all the way up until and thru the weekend of 1/10. We will have light rain and showers all through this weekend and most resorts will lose substantial base over the next week because night time temps will rise and daytime temps will be way above average.

finsoutoc
December 31, 2003
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
correct me if i'm wrong but didnt both accuweather and weather.com predict a pretty dramatic cold invasion for the middle of next week?
MichaelB
December 31, 2003
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
You are right, but everyone predicted a dramatic cold front and they were all wrong.

I found one very interesting site that actually got it right two weeks ago:

www.wxrisk.com

Check it out and let me know whatyou think.

KevR
December 31, 2003
786 posts
Well it's always hard to say what will really pan out but as someone said, Accuweather is saying 4-5 days of above freezing temps all day, then back to cold winter temps around 1/7...

If that turns out not to be the case we will really see some resorts close or maybe go down to one or two runs or what have you.

It is all quite depressing and bizarre if you ask me. I have no recollection in my memory of this happening until around 1990 around here.

Which may not mean one dang thing...

Well what it DOES mean is we have to find other venues to ski out of at least in the short term...

ski_guy_59
December 31, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
It's unseasonably warm here in Florida too. Temps are in the 80's today.
KevR
December 31, 2003
786 posts
Yep, I'd say no skiing in Florida today then!
finsoutoc
January 1, 2004
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
i think i'm depressed.....too much more of this and areas will start to close. im actually surprised that whitetail isnt closed yet.
(Anonymous)
January 1, 2004
Head west young man, West va will have a changover to snow sun night & mon + The blue ridge & others should be able to make snow at nite next week.I think they made snow the last couple of nites -bet there was good sking this morn before it warmed up. 70 to 75 this weekend in se NC GONE FISHING!!
ski_guy_59
January 1, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
The temps were around there today as well. I almost put the boat in and went skiing.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.