Tug Hill forecast -- wish I could see it
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
jonjon1
February 3, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
This is the current NOAA point forecast for a portion of the Tug Hill Plateau. Even though I'm enjoying plenty of snow here in the WV highlands, I will never see something like this unless I go to the Tug Hill. I'm jealous.

Tonight: Occasional snow, mainly after 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 1. Wind chill values between -10 and -20. Breezy, with a west wind between 17 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Sunday: Occasional snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 12. Wind chill values between -11 and -21. Breezy, with a west wind between 13 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Occasional snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -7. Wind chill values between -14 and -20. West wind between 7 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.

Monday: Occasional snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 6. Wind chill values between -14 and -19. Breezy, with a west wind 5 to 8 mph increasing to between 21 and 24 mph. Winds could gust as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%
Roger Z
February 3, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
lol... thanks Jon I'm going to forward that to my parents. One of the two ski areas I learned on was Snow Ridge (the other was Woods Valley), that sits right smack-dab in the middle of the Tug. It might have been small, but it had damn-fine snow. Brings back memories of skiing the pow-pow when I was six years old on a five dollar lift ticket. Great times, those were!
Mountain Masher
February 3, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Here in Western PA, the weather forecasters have backed-off a bit on how cold they think it's going to get. Don't get me wrong, it's going to get quite cold over the next few days, but it doesn't look like we're going to see much in the way of below zero temps. It's currently about 10 deg at my place....brrrrrr.
fishnski
February 4, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
We get a Neaster in the next couple of weeks & you'll forget all about that Tug! You will be waking up soon & will have to sweep off some more snow that fell overnite...Yeh, That Tug Hill Can get dumped on when the wind blows across the whole fetch of Lake ontario.I Looked up Snowridge ski area in my White book of ski areas Roger & was a little surprised that they had a 500 vert. 1850'top elevation in the perfect trajectory off the lake & you got some short but SWEET Powder runs!.....WoodsValley was not in my book But on the map it looks like it is on the south end of the main moisture flow....could be getting a little off of Lake Erie with this wind flow...Too bad Gore Mtn which is in the same path has to fight for the left over scraps of snow left over from all the 1 to 3000' mtns between Gore & the Lake. The White book has snowridge getting 225+ a year while Gore only gets 135.
Ullr
February 4, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I'm actually leaving for Gore tomorrow. Great mountain, vey cold, just no snow!
Roger Z
February 4, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Ullr is right Gore is a great place. Some surprisingly steep terrain in places and the important thing is that it skis big. Seems like there's always another ridge with another lift heading off somewhere. I didn't even know how to get to one of the lifts there until about eight years ago. And although they don't get much natural snow, they're far enough north that they usually keep what they get.

SnowRidge was a great place to learn. Woods Valley was truly the locals' hill, you were either from Rome or Utica or you didn't know the place existed. The owner was Dave Woods, I used to play with his kids. Big fire in the bar every night that people sat around and chatted while us kids ran out on the cafeteria trays and sledded down the black diamonds. You can't beat those times...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?