Report from Wintergreen 1/27-29
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I skied Wintergreen over the weekend. Conditions were pretty good, weather warm on Sat. (50 degrees) and cool on Sunday (near freezing). They had multiple trails open at Highland area...opened the Elbow on Sunday! No snow on Outer Limits. All trails at Big Acorn open except Big Acorn. Large Terrain Park open with jumps, rails, lots of things and an enthusiastic throng. Lifts were crowded on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, but clear Sunday morning.
Snow quality was good, especially on softer snow on Saturday, some hardpack/icy spots.
I demoed mumerous skis from Freestyle Ski Shop in the Mountain Lodge ($40 for the day). Bob who used to work at Ski Chalet there...he is excellent. One interesting sidebar: I had to catch a ride to the top on a ski patrol snowmobile after my binding accidentally released and could not be reset (on demo ski). Make sure they show you how to reset the demo bindings since they have special lever releases to facilitate quick mounting at shop when demoing.
They blew snow every chance they got and I would imagine fantastic conditions this upcoming weekend.
GO AND ENJOY! Lots of broad open slopes & two high speed 6 pack lifts (one for expert terrain only).
The Colonel
k_alice
February 1, 2007
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
We were at WTG Thursday through Sunday last weekend because Fairfax County schools have the excellent idea of giving students a 4-day weekend at the end of January. Conditions on Friday were *excellent* - we were on the Highlands by 9:15 AM, and my two sons (8 and 10) were flying down the mountain at speeds they had probably never encountered. The snow was light, fresh, and plentiful, and it was effortless to turn. With barely a lift line to speak of and sunny skies, it couldn't have been much better. The rest of the weekend was fun too, but Friday was just about perfect.
skier219
February 1, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
They were blowing snow on Outer Limits when I was there on Tuesday, and had a pretty good amount down by mid morning when the guns shut off. They will probably have that trail open this weekend. We'll see how long the snow lasts there -- last year it did not hold up well because of the solar exposure.

I really enjoyed skiing Tyro later in the day on Tuesday -- it had the best snow on the whole mountain.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Wintergreen web site indicates that Outer Limits and Upper Diamond will be open this weekend.
Enjoy,
The Colonel
Aaron
February 1, 2007
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
WTG is my home mountain... but I used the 4 day weekend to get up to Stowe, VT I agree what a great mid-winter, mid-week, time for skiing.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.