Any info on 7S area sidecountry or hikes?
12 posts
5 users
4k+ views
tromano
January 31, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
The title pretty much says it all. Its time to go exploring this weekend. Any beta would be helpful. --Tim
Taylormatt
January 31, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Hike the mountain bike trails, Roaring Run Natural area on the other side of County Line Rd., to top of the world (White Mountain), Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail to Ohiopyle or out to Blue Hole. Any of them would be better on snowshoes right now, there's over 2' of natural out there.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Here's a link to a map of the Forbes State Forest which covers the areas around Seven Springs, Laurel Mountain and Hidden Valley: Forbes State Forest map

You can get a copy of this map and many smaller specialty maps at the Forbes State Forest office on Route 30 in Laughlintown or the Linn Run State Park office in Rector. Perhaps the easiest locations near Seven Springs would be Kooser State Park or Laurel Hill State Park. Kooser is off of Route 31 and Laurel Hill is off of County Line Road near Trent.
SpringsRegular
January 31, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Since Seven Springs is on private land they can regulate where you can ski and where you cannot, they WILL pull your passs if they catch you poaching. They own pretty much all of the side country around the resort. If you want to hike, make sure you are on the other side of county line. you can ski the obvious line that you can see from the top of N Face looking towards the N Lot. I have skied it before and it is good with enough snow. You can also take Indianhead road and ski the old White Mountain area. I am not sure what the owners allow.
tromano
January 31, 2007
998 posts
Rats, I might hit BK on Sunday instead then.
SpringsRegular
February 1, 2007
153 posts
You can always go ski and hike Laurel.
tromano
February 1, 2007
998 posts
Thanks! I actually had that same idea last night. Decisions, decisions!
hockeydave
February 1, 2007
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
If you're referring to the Laurel Mountain ski area, be careful, because if you're caught by the DCNR, you're looking at a fairly hefty fine. Having said that, if you do go over there, I'm betting you won't be putting down first tracks.

Here's hoping that next year Laurel Mountain won't be considered as "sidecountry" but as "Laurel Mountain Ski Resort".
SpringsRegular
February 1, 2007
153 posts
Dave,

Is Laurel not on State owned property, if not a state park? Does that not make it public access? Are there signs instructing that no access is permitted?
hockeydave
February 1, 2007
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Laurel Mountain Ski Resort is located in a state owned park. However, the ski area is leased to Somerset Trust at the present time. I am not an expert on the subject (DEF or Laurel Hill Crazie would know more than me), but I believe the state would consider you trespassing on private (leased) land. I know the access road back to the lodge is gated at the entrance at Laurel Summit Road and about two thirds of the way back also. There may be liability issues if someone got hurt there which is probably the main reason that skiing is prohibited. If anyone can add further info or if I'm in error, chime in.
Taylormatt
February 1, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Well, Rob and I thought you meant hiking trips, not back country hiking accesible skiing...oops.

Check out the lost ski area section here. In the White Mtn. area comment section, there is a guy posted there that bought the old Lodge and has the White Mtn back country club. I think he put contact info on that comment. They are a bunch of freeheelers that still ski White Mtn. and probably know every available bc line in the area. I don't know him personally, but do know a few of the freehelers from White Mtn, good group of guys. They will help you on your quest. There's lots of off the map MTB'ing the area and I'm sure as much or more bc skiing.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Tromano, check your Private Messages.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?