Utah vs Driving Trip This Weekend?
12 posts
8 users
2k+ views
JohnL
January 29, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Something to toss out to the peanut gallery. This is a rarity; I'm actually giving some consideration to cancelling a trip to Utah this weekend (Thurs evening to Tuesday evening) and instead driving either to the Mid-Atlantic or to Vermont for five days of skiing. Normally, this would get me committed to the FishNSki bin, but it may not be so crazy this upcoming weekend.

I can apply my Utah airfare to other trips later on this year and lodging, rental car, etc. are all refundable. Crush, Bushwacker, and other Utahites, how scratchy are the current conditions in Utah? How much snow is expected from these minor fronts passing through this week and this weekend?

Where's the best snow right now? Utah? Mid-Atlantic? Vermont? New York State?

I don't want to go through the hassle of booking a flight and package to a destination resort last second, so for me it's the option of Utah versus a driving trip.

All suggestions welcome.
kennedy
January 29, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm locked into Utah for this coming weekend. The Utah Avy center doesn't think much will come of the one this Tuesday. Oh well a crap week in Utah is better than a good week most other places.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 29, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
You just missed Winter Festival week in the catskills, 1/22-26, $10 lifts at believe, both belleyere and plattekill. might still find some bargains that way and think they got some of the snow seven springs got in last week.
snowcone
January 29, 2007
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Oh my gosh! Are you crazy?
We just got back from a week in UT. spent the entire time at Snowbasin and it was [to use the overworked phrase] totally awesome! SLC was in that nasty inversion all last week but a soon as you hit 6500+, it was blue bird days all the way, every day. 7 straight days of sunshine, lower 30s, awesome grooming [and some off piste for my daughter] ... i wish i didn't have to come back to work. I'm already laying the ground [read: sucking up} with my boss for another week at the beginning of March.
tommo
January 29, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Well...normally I'd agree with Snowcone - Utah is just so much more in every way. But....with the conditions in NE excellent and improving, and the snowpack in Utah at 1/2 or less than normal, I'd give serious thought to driving to VT or NH. In fact, based on what we experienced out west last week, the skiing up north is probably better right now. Figure the ease of driving vs dealing with air travel, add in the $$ you'd likely save and cover with lots of fresh snow, and New England is probably a better choice. Then, as you mentioned, fly to UT in late March or early April from some fine, fine sunshine. It seems likely that they'll have better conditions by then (if not, it's going to be a really tough water year in SLC....)

I NEVER thought I'd actually be writing this.... Weird Year
JohnL
January 29, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

I NEVER thought I'd actually be writing this.... Weird Year

I never thought I'd be asking the question. Very weird year.

I've got a very full trip schedule in late February to early April: some budget trips to Utah, a budget trip to Colorado and a week in Vermont. So I'll be getting mine later on, it's just a matter of what I'll be getting where this coming weekend.
tromano
January 29, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Blue knob! lol, J/k

Still it looks like new england is making a strong comeback. Driving might be a good option. Where are the utards to answer this one?
tommo
January 29, 2007
303 posts
Quote:

... late February to early April: some budget trips to Utah, a budget trip to Colorado and a week in Vermont.

With that line up later, I'd do the drive this week. Snow in CO was rock hard in the bowls, and full of plain old rocks in many other places.

VT/NH/NY is terrific right now.

ROADTRIP!!
skier219
January 29, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Sugarbush is in great shape -- 100% open last I checked. But I think the WV mountains got more snow than Vermont over the last few days, so they are worth a consideration. All else equal, I would head to Sugarbush myself, but it is quite a bit further to drive.
JohnL
February 7, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Ended up going to Utah (decided the night before I was scheduled to fly out.) Last second snow in Utah and predicted arctic temps in Vermont were the deciding factors.

I'll post a detailed review when I get caught up at work. Ski area bases are the lowest I've ever seen mid-winter in Utah; plently of advanced terrain was closed. Rock skis recommended for off-piste (I got a core shot at Alta.) You either couldn't see a lot of the geologic wonders from above or you had to cross ten feet of rock on a traverse. From what little I skied them, most groomers were in excellent shape. Found some excellent snow, plenty of marginal snow (by Utah standards), and some heinous spots (by any standards.) To get to/from the good snow, you often had to go through the bad stuff. Skied Alta - Solitude - Brighton - Pow Mow - Brighton.
Roger Z
February 7, 2007
2,181 posts
Taos was reporting that they had "the best snow in the country" last weekend. Since they just got a 26 inch dump, it wasn't out of the question that their statement might have been true. Of course, since my buddy and I are going there next weekend, it's been dry and 50+ degrees for three days now. As predicted, my move west appears to be wreaking havoc on the Rocky Mountains. Thank goodness I didn't move to Denver...
tromano
February 7, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
UT in bad conditions is still lots better than most places.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.