Canaan Valley or Timberline?
7 posts
5 users
(Anonymous)
December 27, 2003
Hi there,

We are going to the Canaan Valley area for 4 days next week. We'd love to experience both Canaan Valley and Timberline. But it seems like buying multi-day lift tickets would save us a lot. My husband and I are beginners (may be level 3), and most likely will stay on green trails. Our kids are 8 and 5. This would be their 2nd time.

Which place would you pick? Is it worth the extra $ to try both?

Many thanks for any suggestion you might offer.

Jane

ski_guy_59
December 27, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Timberline is statistically a better place to go. The vertical is about 150 feet more, and the snowmaking capabilities are better. At this point in the season, and for your ability, you could probably have a great experience at either resort. I believe a "ski the valley ticket" might still be in place-John can verify for me. That would allow you to ski both resorts on one ticket.
Roger Z
December 28, 2003
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Another thing to think about doing Jane J is one day at Timberline, one day at Canaan, and one day at Whitegrass. Cross-country isn't everyone's thing but Whitegrass is one of the coolest places on the east coast and far cheaper than either downhill ski area, so it would help with the lift ticket costs (if the Ski the Valley ticket isn't available for some reason). Friendly folks and a very unique atmosphere.

That way you can experience pretty much everything Canaan Valley has to offer (except backcountry forays into the Sods) and decide for yourself which place is your favorite and why. Your fourth day you can go back the resort of your choice and provide us all with an update when you get back!

And once you provide your update, Andy can add an addendum about how much better skiing would be with a new ski resort called "Almost Heaven" about seven miles further south... welcome to DCSki...

(Anonymous)
December 28, 2003
Keep hope alive!
gatkinso
December 28, 2003
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
I would say Canaan, unless of course you **want** to pay $50 for the privledge of walking to the top of the hill....
Lietmotiv
December 29, 2003
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
I suggest you get the "Ski the Valley" pass. It allows you ski both mountains. It's a tad more per day but if the lift goes down like gatkinso experienced then you can switch mountains.

gatkinso
December 29, 2003
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
STV pass is midweek only.... atleast it has been for the last few years.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.