Best Way to Wintergreen?
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I live in Fairfax and will be leaving from Manassas at about 7:00pm. Have not been to Wintergreen in 10 years, but am wondering whether it is faster to go 29 south to Charlottesville, then 64 to Wintergreen turnoff; or go 66 to 81 to 64 east to Wintergreen?
Thanks for the advice,
The Colonel
Craig
January 25, 2007
Member since 01/24/2007 🔗
22 posts
I usually take 66 west to 29 south, then 64 west at Charlottesville.

You could take the Blue Ridge Parkway straight south into the resort from 64, but it been closed due to snow when I've tried it, so I wouldn't take the risk.

Next 250 west at the Yancey Mills exit (will say "to Wintergreen") to 151 south. Pass Stoney Creek Golf course and take 664/Beech Grove west to the entrance of the resort.

Going all the way out to 81 would be a huge detour as 29 is pretty much a straight shot from Northern VA. It usually takes me about 2:20 or so of straight driving.

The only problem is 29 is 2 lanes in most places so you run into the inevitable and irritating cars driving slower than the prevailing speed of traffic in the left-lane.

Have fun!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
COL, I usually use the 66/29/64 route from N. VA too. Takes me closer to 3 hours, but you might miss some of the growing traffic on 29 north of Char by late Fri. If you want to make a dinner stop on the way home Sunday night consider the terrific Bavarian Chef restaurant along 29 about 20-30 mins north of Charlottesville. http://www.restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=77631&rpid=1326&raid=108
If you are alone you might be able to walk in and quickly dine at the bar counter, otherwise you might want to get a reservation. It's been about 5 years since I've been there, but visited 20 times or more in the 80s and 90s. Chef owned and some of the best food ever. Really fits the alpine mood after a day on the slopes.
kwillg6
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
You are talking about my neighborhood here in downtown Reva, VA on south 29 through Madison County. There are more good eateries than you can count anymore between C-ville and Culpeper. The Pig and Steak in Madison for BBQ is excellent. Word of warning, watch the speed-o-meter from the first Culpeper exit on 29 through C-ville. The local law likes out of towners who exceeed the marked 60 or 55 mph limits by more than 7 to 8 mph. It's an election year for the local lawmen this year and they try to proove their importance.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?