First to 100%?
8 posts
7 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Which resort will be the first to reach 100% open? Snowshoe website says they will make it this weekend, Roundtop is real close.
The Colonel
DWW
January 26, 2007
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
No question - it will be Snowshoe. Despite the warmest winter in history and all the MM hype, SS opened up on Thanksgiving and will very likely remain open into April. That's a 4.5 months season!!! They have managed to maintain at least 30 trails through the tuff warm stretch - more than all other resorts combined. Even as many moan about lack of trails, lift lines, the drive, SS continues to deliver. I imagine that MM will be very quiet this weekend as that Greenland mass sets in. Put your bermuda shorts away and get out and ski!
kwillg6
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Without a doubt it's the shoe. They have two things nobody else has... deep pockets and elevation. I'm surprised they haven't been 100% yet.
tommo
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Drumrollllllllll.....and the winner is......Whitegrass!!!!!

Once again, Whitegrass is the first resort to be fully open, even in this low snow year. Of the lift served areas, the winner is Seven Springs, which went from nearly nill to full thrill in just over a week. Whitetail will join the club on Saturday, which is a testament to their amazing snowmaking capabilities. In the equally amazing category, Rountop and Liberty, which were nothing but warm dirt 10 days ago, plan to be 100% tomorrow. Wisp is fully open today in the snowmaking areas, but they have several trails without snowmaking, so technically they're not at 100%, although for all intents they are fully open with deep bases everywhere. Snowshoe may actually have the most terrain open, but they also have the biggest challenge to get everything open. They were able to open Widowmaker and Cupp earlier this week, but are still quite a ways from being 100%. But, again, that has to be taken in the context that opening Cupp and Shays is like opening the full resort at most other areas.
lightguy
January 26, 2007
Member since 10/11/2005 🔗
19 posts
Wisp has 25 trails open and it looks like they are making snow on most of the other 7 (Even some without snowmaking). It should be noted that they are reporting 6 inches of new snow in the last 24 hours and 10" total this week. FYI- They also have 30KM of cross Country open.
kennedy
January 26, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Tommo, I'm not going to debate minutae because I'm already too busy making turns in my head but Whitetail won't technically be 100% open on Saturday. Fanciful and the half pipe will not be open. I can't tell if they're blowing snow on Fanciful yet, webcam doesn't tell me much, but I know they haven't blown a lick on the pipe yet which kind of surprises me seing as Snowpark is pretty much done. They need to fire up the pipe guns pronto.
tommo
January 26, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
OK - fair enough...Being a 2 planker, I wasn't really counting the half pipe as being necessary to make the 100% open mark - I view that as more of an extra, added bonus than a slope or trail. (I guess that's convoluted logic, but somehow it doesn't seem like not having the pipe open should be held against an area.) As to Fanciful, I'm betting it's open tomorrow, which will put all 3 Snowtime areas at 100%. That, to me, is an absolutely remarkable accomplishment given that they were flat lined two weeks ago.
Taylormatt
January 26, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Uh, yeah, sorry guys. 7S opened 100% today, even the natural areas were skiable yesterday by Noon. The 'Shoe ain't the first

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.