TR: 7S 1/20-1/21
12 posts
7 users
2k+ views
tromano
January 22, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
It finally felt like winter this weekend in southwestern Pennsylvania. Skiing 7 Springs I saw many, many season passes out on the slopes. Snow in Pittsburgh reminded local "yinzers" that it was actually winter. And many came out in droves Saturday to enjoy the skiing now that trail numbers have climbed. Terrain was still limited relative to the crowds, which would have been considered heavy for any mid season weekend. This lead to crowding and long lines on the usually uncrowned lifts, and at the parking lots and lodges.

Conditions were clearly early season like. Snow guns were on all around the ski area. Rock was groomed in to the sloped in many areas including the entire right half of Northface slope below the second headwall.

I just did laps on the 750ft vertical north face and north pole lifts for two days straight. This was a welcome change from the endless laps on the 400ft vertical frontside slopes I had been limited to throughout December. Crowds came in waves. At times Northface slope was more like a crowded dance floor than a ski slope. And 20 minutes later no one was on it. I saw many, many over enthusiastic newbies and intermeds getting pwned by the variable conditions caused by heavy skier traffic under guns blowing mostly water and little air. Bumps and ice > stem turn.

However most of the time crowds were light and I skied right onto the lift anytime the north pole lift was open. I got to take my new Metron B5s up to something approaching fast. It didn't set any records, but they felt solid at speed making large turns in the variable conditions and also did well in bumps.

Outlook: The off piste meadows and glades at 7S often only require a few inches of snow to be skiable and in the past few seasons that is all they have had at anyone time. Right now, the 6 or so inches of recent natural snow has mixed with large quantities of heavy wind blown snow from the guns to create a dense thick base that showed no signs of getting skied off, despite heavy traffic in some of the off piste areas. If cold temps continue for the next few weeks, it looks like snow pack could start forming off piste to depths unseen in recent years.

Apres ski report: Saturday night the goggle was in rare form. Madeline and I also cashed in a Xmas present which was a gift cert for dinner at Hellen's. I think that was about the best steak I have ever had.
Buckeye Skier
January 23, 2007
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
Nice report. Sounds like it was a little wild at times. Do you think there a good chance all trails will be open by next weekend? We'd like to make the trip over if everything is open.
tromano
January 23, 2007
998 posts
They were making snow on the north face slopes all weekend, the temps have stayed cold and I would be surprised if they weren't open (at least giantsteps, boulder, and gunnar) by the weekend.
SpringsRegular
January 23, 2007
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Plans are to have the whole mountain open Saturday.
SpringsRegular
January 24, 2007
153 posts
ok..I lied. The whole mountain with the exception of Village Trail is OPEN today!
Tucker
January 24, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
...now that is snowmaking...almost nothing on the trails to almost 100% open w/ terrain parks in about two weeks!!!this is the future of MID-A resorts---resorts who have really invested in snowmaking are going to be able to turn around like this...this is now the bench mark...who else will be 100% open this weekend???
tromano
January 24, 2007
998 posts
Quote:

ok..I lied. The whole mountain with the exception of Village Trail is OPEN today!

I saw that this morning. 10 days ago the north face was all brown. Kudos to 7S for getting after it with snowmaking and grooming.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
HKD snowmaking systems are about the best there is. Seven Springs has millions of gallons of water in ponds all over their resort and in a lot of places most people don't see. All of these ponds are linked to the huge 'Lake Tahoe' at the top of the hill. Lots of water, lots of compressed air, powerful pumps and the best snow making system and you get two feet plus covering over 200 acres in less than 2 weeks
Taylormatt
January 24, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Village and Lost Girl. Still not enough snow on the bottom half of LG to open it, but DB says that should change shortly.

I'd say tomorrow or Friday for full opening, even the glades are getting enough natural cover to become skiable. It snowed hard all day and a few more inches are expected tonight.
SpringsRegular
January 24, 2007
153 posts
Lower lost girl is not really a trail anyway
Buckeye Skier
January 24, 2007
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
It's great to hear everything is opening up! Can't wait to get out there!
RobertW
January 24, 2007
199 posts
I spent the whole day at the Springs today, my first "real" all-day-serious trip. I have to admit that I felt a bit sheepish after complaining about the percieved lack of snowmaking in the Wisp thread. I should have known better and I apologize to the HKD Gods. It was simply amazing (again) how much terrain was covered and the quality of the surface. I did not find one scratch in my brand new Apache Recon's and I probably found and skied more untracked powder than I have found at the area in 3 years. Mid-week skiing at its finest!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?