Colorado Discount ideas
13 posts
9 users
6k+ views
wojo
January 20, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Where can I get tickets below window price? Grocery store? specific Ski Shops? Lables on coke cans?

Need some ideas (quick). Going on a last minute 4 day trip from Thurs - Sunday.

Thanks!
Roger Z
January 20, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Try the grocery markets around Denver. They usually offer 10-20% discounts on ski lift tickets.

Have fun!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 20, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Wojo, believe most King Souper's grocery stores have them, including one along I70 near Golden. A lot of ski shops such as a big one in Idaho Springs also along I70 has them. Where are you going to ski? Main thing is don't wait until you are a couple miles from a given ski area, the local places are not likely to have discount tickets for adjacent mtn. Some of the resorts offer multiday or internet offers on their websites which can also provide a price break over window price. Suggest you go to www.epicski.com and search for - colorado discounts, should be some specific and recent info there. If search fails, ask question on their board.
Have fun and give us some feedback when you return.

PS: you might also google denver area king soupers and safeway grocerys to see if their websites describe ticket offers and convenient store locations.
PPS: if you think you will get out there more than once in the season, some of the season pass deals pay for themselves in about 10 days.
twin58
January 22, 2007
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
I haven't been out that way in a while, but when I was there, King Sooper in Denver definitely sold discount lift tickets. The Safeway in Boulder had discount tickets for Eldora. There was a "Ski Colorado" kiosk at Stapleton (I said I hadn't been there in a while); surely there is one at the new airport.

I'd try the King Sooper, Albertsons, or Safeway websites. When prompted for a ZIP code, put in one from Denver or Boulder; this should bring up offers at stores near that ZIP code. 80201, 80219, or 80290 ought to work for Denver; 80301, 80302, 80303, 80304, and 80305 will work for Boulder. There are plenty of others.

http://www.albertsons.com/defaultSSL.asp

Can you take me in your carry-on?
himihon
January 22, 2007
Member since 12/28/2004 🔗
20 posts
There are entertainment books sold at the grocery stores that offer 2 for 1 deals at Winter Park, Copper, and Loveland. They cost $10 for the book and have 2 coupons for each resort in each. They aren't valid on Saturdays (except for Loveland which is) and maybe on president's day weekend.
wojo
January 22, 2007
333 posts
This is one of the reasons I like the board. Lots of constructive ideas from experts. I will relay the options when I get back and maybe even post a picture or two to make everyone envious.

I am sorting through my many options. I just got off the phone with a lady at King Sooper and wow people are nice outside the beltway
jimboc
January 22, 2007
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
"Garts Sports" in Denver
wojo
January 31, 2007
333 posts
Quote:

Wojo, believe most King Souper's grocery stores have them, including one along I70 near Golden. A lot of ski shops such as a big one in Idaho Springs also along I70 has them. Where are you going to ski? Main thing is don't wait until you are a couple miles from a given ski area, the local places are not likely to have discount tickets for adjacent mtn. Some of the resorts offer multiday or internet offers on their websites which can also provide a price break over window price. Suggest you go to www.epicski.com and search for - colorado discounts, should be some specific and recent info there. If search fails, ask question on their board.
Have fun and give us some feedback when you return.

PS: you might also google denver area king soupers and safeway grocerys to see if their websites describe ticket offers and convenient store locations.
PPS: if you think you will get out there more than once in the season, some of the season pass deals pay for themselves in about 10 days.

Great Trip. Went to Keystone and Copper on companion tickets from a buddy. However, the internet has ruined what used to be unlimited companion tickets according to my buddy. People bought 50 and sold them on ebay . . . Others who stayed in the same hotel mooched companion tickets from season pass holders at the resorts (IT WORKED). I used King Sooper for El Dora tickets (great little mountain). King Sooper was about 10$ off adult and 15$ off kids at all the resorts (as a last resort).

Maisondeski.com has comperable tickets to King Sooper and is in Idaho Springs.

There is an ebook at King Sooper that has several resorts (call a King Sooper, the folks are very nice there) with buy-one get-one tickets or 1/2 off tickets to Solvista, Sunlight, Cooper, and Winterpark.

Stayed in Silverthorne which is very convient to Keystone, Breck and Copper, about a 15 minute drive to each. Days Inn was reasonable, clean and the breakfast acceptable. Had a hot tub and wading pool. Silverthorn has lots of restaurants

Days 1-3 were sunny and mild. No new snow for a week. Day four 20ish and windy. All the snow was blown off the runs at Eldora and it was like a good day at Whitetail That forced my 10 year old to use his technique.

Copper - nice buffet in the cafeteria in the East Village for 3.99$ in the East Village. Timberline Express is a nice lift to hang out near for Blue/Green Runs. Some of the top to bottom trips from Rendevous are pretty good B/G runs too.

Keystone - Summit House was reasonable for lunch. Dercum Mt is the primary Blue/green hill, but my 10 year old went down at least one run on all the hills. You might consider Keystone to be stop two if you need some warm ups, then you can hit all three hills hard and have a good time on each of them.

Eldora - keep your speed up at the bottom as you go from lift to lift, nice runs, much more narrow than either Keystone or Copper.

Again, everyones suggestions helped. So glad we have Southwest at Dulles now.
TLaHaye
January 31, 2007
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I'll recommend VRBO.com for lodging. My son and I just scored a 2BR slopeside (we're talking a 100 ft. walk to the lift) at Copper for $600 for 6 nights. The Holiday Inn in Frisco wanted $885 for the same period.
Roy
February 1, 2007
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I'll give a good vote for vrbo.com. I've booked my last 4 vacations there. My recent trip to Summit County, I got a 4 bedroom (actually 6 but the owners locked two for their personal stuff), 3 bathroom, hot tub, 2 kitchens, all for $2000 for the week. Amongst 6 people it was $285 per person. Would have been cheaper but others backed out on us at the last minute. This house was in Silverthorne.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 1, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Thanks for the feedback Wojo. Tell me a little more about companion tickets. Who buys and how? Do the companions have to be with a season pass holder at the ticket window at time of purchase? Which resorts offered them that you visited in CO?
wojo
February 3, 2007
333 posts
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback Wojo. Tell me a little more about companion tickets. Who buys and how? Do the companions have to be with a season pass holder at the ticket window at time of purchase? Which resorts offered them that you visited in CO?

I asked my bud the specifics. In addition to the below he said that this week is COLD, last week was great. Guess we picked the right week:

The companion ticket deal is not published on the website, it really only is mentioned in the purchase agreement. 4 tickets at $40/ea. The website under "Colorado Pass" only discusses the "Ski with a Friend" prices, which are more expensive (would have been $66 for you at Keystone) and there are 6 of those tickets available. So it really isn't advertised at all... maybe so people don't sell them to strangers. Even when I log into my account it won't mention the $40 passes. Last year I used them all and they sent me an e-mail saying I could have 4 more, which was really cool. I bought two tickets over Christmas last year for $35/ea and the guy behind me in line was paying $75, so I know they don't want to give that deal away to too many people.
neustkg
February 7, 2007
Member since 02/6/2007 🔗
5 posts
I live in Colorado and one of the best discounts going is a buy one get one free at Copper Mtn. when you purchase gas at a Colorado Shell station. Fill up and go inside and ask for a voucher that you take to the ski area. Last year I paid about $50 for 2 tickets. Even if you have an odd number of people in the group that need tickets, you can sell the extra ticket to someone at the ski area who is interested.

While King Soopers does sell discount tickets, the discount isn't always the huge, and they tend to run out of tickets later in the season.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?