7 posts
4 users
2k+ views
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 20, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I skied Whitetail this afternoon on my way to a WISP weekend. This was my first time to hit the slopes this year, much later start than usual and we all know why...which was evident at Whitetail. The beginner and Snow Park slopes were exceedingly icy. Only one slope open from top, Angel Drop. Whitetail was agressively making slope on Homerun, Limelight, and I think Exhibition. I would anticipate some or all of these slopes to open sometime this weekend. Sure hope so, because the combination of slope bombing young boarders and some skiers, mixing with the many who will be hitting the slopes for the first time this year during this weekend will create dangerous conditions.
If I can figure out how to get a photo in a post I'll show the red ribbons tied to my gloves which signify me a DCSkier.
Anybody other than me at WISP this weekend?
The Colonel
JohnL
January 20, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
Colonel,

Your red ribbon wasn't too effective, since I skied Whitetail yesterday from 1:30 to 6 and didn't see ya. I skiied Angel Drop all day, didn't try any of the other lifts.

It was my first turns of the season also. You're a better man than me skiing the rest of the weekend; my ski muscles (more like ski flab) are telling me I need a day off. My only excuse is that I'm coming off a real nasty virus that has curtailed my activity quite a bit recently.

Per Whitetail's website, Home Run (other option besides the Terrain Park from Upper Angel Drop) opened as planned today (Saturday.) The combo of Drop In, Exhibition and Ridge Runner are listed as opening soon. I'd give Whitetail a fighting chance (but not guaranteed) to open them on Sunday. Based on how much snow was made on Limelight by Friday PM, no way IMHO Limelight opens this weekend. (Whitetail's website makes no mention of when Limelight will open.) I'm glad I was able to get my first turns in on Friday, since the limited terrain could mean some crowded slopes and lifts this weekend. With the continued cold weather, next weekend should be pretty nice and a big improvement from this weekend.

But most importantly, I've broken the 0-fer.
JohnL
January 21, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
Today (Sunday) per their web site, Whitetail did open Drop In, Exhibition and Ridge Runner. Limelight (under the HSQ) hasn't opened, but looks like it will open in a day or so. They are also blowing snow on Bold Decision.
therusty
January 23, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Limelight opened on Monday. They started blowing Snow Dancer and Far Side on Sunday. Those should be openable by Thursday. Exhibition was nice except for one 100 foot section where one of the guns was out of action. That spot was slick and (cough) testing a lot of people. Over the weekend Angel Drop was getting many (ahem) "firm" spots by the end of the day.
warren
January 23, 2007
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Rusty,
Was that spot about half-way down on Limelight? I was there last year and my daughter and I noticed a "firm" spot in the trail.
We're both advanced skiers so we just kept are skies under us with no overly-committed edges and scooted across that section

-Warren-
therusty
January 23, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Nope. Last weekend "the spot" was on Exhibition. Occasionally a gun will have a problem and a spot will be present until the gun is repaired and/or grooming can fix it.
warren
January 23, 2007
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Rusty,
Gotcha. They can be dangerous. I talked to a guy last year on the lift that ended up bloodying up his nose on the spot that was on Limelight

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.