Staying at snowshoe
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
January 19, 2007
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts
We made reservations at the Shamrock for next weekend. It was the only thing available other than Top of the World. I realize it's "bronze" rated, and I'm not expecting anything fancy.

Knowing they are privatly owned and conditions may vary, can I expect them to be reasonably clean? Or would I be afraid to put my head on the pillow at night? Are they within walking distance to the slopes?
warren
January 19, 2007
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I've stayed at the Shamrock complex several times. They are fairly close to the slopes. If there's snow coverage, there's a trail you can ski/skate. Otherwise, it's a short walk. As far as cleanliness, the properties in the snowshoe rental program have the linens professionally cleaned and changed out between each occupant. Very much like a hotel. Towels and Toilet Paper are also provided by the management service. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

-Warren-
kwillg6
January 19, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Used to rent one of those for the season when I did the weekend warrior thing. I liked the convenience. Yes they are privately owned and some are better than others. Parking can be a hassle if you get deep snows as does the road in/out if not plowed.
msquared
January 19, 2007
Member since 03/12/2005 🔗
1 posts
How many people are in your party? At least Top of the World is slopeside, has hot tubs and some amenities. Shamrock has none.

A bronze rating doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad condo -- just that it doesn't have all of the things on the checklist that Snowshoe requires for Silver/Gold/Platinum. Many owners just don't want to make that kind of investment for a rental property that takes a lot of wear and tear. I don't want to scare you, but I've been in a few of the Shamrocks that I would not want to stay in. Since everything is privately owned, quality can vary widely.

Snowshoe has the 48-hour cancellation policy for people who booked recently, so I would keep calling next week to see if something else opens up. Check VRBO.com, though it may be too late to find anything there for a weekend. You might find something at Mountain Lodge, which is also slopeside. It's much better to deal with the owners directly and know exactly what unit you're getting.

There are also some listings on this site at the lodging finder. I rented a great 1 BR at Allegheny Springs last year from someone who listed on this site. Unfortunately, he sold it this year.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?