What's With WISP & Whitetail
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
It is 10:30 Thurs. evening and most ski areas are really pumping out the snow: Liberty, Roundtop, Wintergreen, 7Springs, etc. But the cams at WISP and Whitetail show no snow being made on the slopes...on the tubing run yes, but the slopes...no. Why?
The Colonel
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 18, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I just checked Whitetail's cams (at 10:44 p.m.) and have also checked on them a couple times this evening, and it looks like every snow gun there is running -- is it possible you were looking at a cached image? Whitetail's cams automatically rotate every now and then and sometimes fog/ice up, making it difficult to see what's going on, but I can clearly see snowguns running in force on all the major slopes except the top of the bunny slope. The bunny slope already has very good coverage, and they try to limit snowmaking on that slope during operating hours (they only closed 45 minutes ago) to prevent beginners from being blasted with snow. But it looks like a virtual blizzard to me and they had lots of guns going this evening when I last checked, too. Probably the cams were rotated to uninteresting spots when you checked.

In terms of Wisp, it is much harder to tell on their webcams right now whether snowmaking is going on. But I am happy to see lots of white snow on all the slopes!
GaryEsq
January 18, 2007
Member since 12/20/2005 🔗
54 posts
Quote:

I just checked Whitetail's cams (at 10:44 p.m.) and have also checked on them a couple times this evening, and it looks like every snow gun there is running -- is it possible you were looking at a cached image? Whitetail's cams automatically rotate every now and then and sometimes fog/ice up, making it difficult to see what's going on, but I can clearly see snowguns running in force on all the major slopes except the top of the bunny slope. The bunny slope already has very good coverage, and they try to limit snowmaking on that slope during operating hours (they only closed 45 minutes ago) to prevent beginners from being blasted with snow. But it looks like a virtual blizzard to me and they had lots of guns going this evening when I last checked, too. Probably the cams were rotated to uninteresting spots when you checked.

In terms of Wisp, it is much harder to tell on their webcams right now whether snowmaking is going on. But I am happy to see lots of white snow on all the slopes!

A cold front is arriving overnight, but it hasn't arrived yet....temp here at the base of Wisp is 32 at 10:56pm.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 19, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Quote:

It is 10:30 Thurs. evening and most ski areas are really pumping out the snow: Liberty, Roundtop, Wintergreen, 7Springs, etc. But the cams at WISP and Whitetail show no snow being made on the slopes...on the tubing run yes, but the slopes...no. Why?
The Colonel

I've been watching the Wisp snow reports and webcams over the past two weeks. They've pumped out plenty of snow lately, so conditions should be quite good...as they were the two days I visited.

Woody

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?