Wintergreen - wider slopes on the Highlands?
10 posts
6 users
2k+ views
ddemille
January 16, 2007
Member since 01/10/2006 🔗
9 posts
I was at WGreen this past weekend, and several folks I rode up the chairs with mentioned they had widened some of the Highlands.
Specifically:
> at the top of Wild Turkey/Outer Limits, making it more "bowl-like"
> and supposedly further down Wild Turkey.

Anyone else heard this? I would have thought they would have adverstised this. Looking forward to finding out myself in a week or two.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 16, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
That was mentioned in the ski article in the Dec issue of Washingtonian Mag, but I didn't see it in two visits last year. Wild Turkey is kind of wide, but Outer Limits was not. Maybe someone who's seen the Highlands this year will comment.
Ullr
January 16, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

Maybe someone who's seen the Highlands this year will comment.

Due to this crappy weather, no one has seen the highlands this year!
skier219
January 16, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

I was at WGreen this past weekend, and several folks I rode up the chairs with mentioned they had widened some of the Highlands.
Specifically:
> at the top of Wild Turkey/Outer Limits, making it more "bowl-like"
> and supposedly further down Wild Turkey.

Anyone else heard this? I would have thought they would have adverstised this. Looking forward to finding out myself in a week or two.

This may be old news. When they installed the new Highland lift a couple years ago, they removed the stand of trees between the lift corridor and upper Wild Turkey, and widened the trail. Further down, they removed the trees between Wild Turkey and Turkey Chute. I wouldn't classify any of this as bowl like though!

According to my info, the only changes at the Highlands are some additional snow guns.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 17, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
The second photo in this article shows Wild Turkey in Feb 2006. Outer Limits trail (can't really see) is in the background beyond the woods to the right looking up at the slopes.
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=892&mode=headlines
k_alice
January 17, 2007
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
My husband and I actually WALKED UP the Highlands a few weeks ago. They didn't widen the slopes this year, although they have in the past few years. They did add more snow guns, as someone noted, and dug a deeper drainage ditch at the very top - which makes it more difficult for those who like to walk from the Highlands condos to the slopes. Oh well. They are blowing snow on the Highlands right now and I'm willing to bet there's a good chance that Upper Cliffhanger/Lower Wild Turkey will be open next weekend.

WTG did add a new beginner area this year, kind of near the "Lookout" parking lot and lower cross trail. Very very small incline and a moving carpet. Great to get the very cautious beginners off of Dobie.
skier219
January 17, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I parked at the new beginner slope last week and skated up the slope to get to the Lower Cross trail (the magic carpet was not running, but no biggie since it's damn near flat). It looks like a great place for never-ever skiers, but the location has me puzzled. There is no way to actually get to that beginner slope without skiing/walking down or parking right next to it. Perhaps they have some sort of plan in mind.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 17, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
a plan? i hope.

i _still_ think they should have just used that baby tubing run with a conveyor lift as the beginners ski school area. it's right beside the ski school meeting zone and rental shop, i never see anyone tubing there and it would have saved alot on snowmaking. maybe they could have used the energy to at least open upper cross trail - grumble grumble. i hope they know what they are doing.

anyway, we'll be up there this wkend, will take another look then.
skier219
January 18, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Dave, when are you guys arriving? I will be skiing there Friday.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 18, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
hey Craig, sorry that we cannot be up there friday daytime -I gotta wait for school to get out! the next wkend is timberline, the following is the skinc meeting in boone, and the next is a week in keystone. probably the next time i could get up to wg will be the friday after pres day. so far, i have only 2 days on snow!

did you see those $120 tickets to denver earlier this month?

-Dave

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?