14 posts
11 users
8k+ views
RiverOfBass
January 15, 2007
Member since 12/25/2006 🔗
13 posts
hi all,

i'm a boarder but as much in common with the average skiier as the average boarder.

i need new pants and boarding pants just don't cut it for me. they are too baggy (esp. as i'm thin), and just as much about style as performance. in short, they're lame. i'm almost 30 i don't need to look like some 15 year kid.

i'm ready to go towad ski pants, something that will be snugger on me (no FS! style or "cargo" pant) and have seen the same models at REI and Dick's, which had a decent selection. Seems like North FAce would fit me the best, then maybe columbia. anyone got any specific models?

previusly i was very concerned with waterproofing and breathability levels. i'm not as concerned with that but obviously need something with decent waterproofing, and would prefer something a bit more than just a shell (no fleece necessary though). currently i ride with old Burton Ronin pants from the late 90s and they're not real waterproof anymore.
myrto
January 15, 2007
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
you can't go wrong with good ol' black columbia pants
Otto
January 16, 2007
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
I hate to sound like a snot, but IMHO Columbia is not a good investment unless they still make their Titanium line. If you want to go low end go to www.campmor.com and look at their house brand stuff. You could also check this out - http://www.sierratradingpost.com

I would suggest Karbon, Hard Corps, Spyder, Marmot and North Face. Sierra Trading has good deals sometimes. Also search for Reliable Racing and go to the closeouts.

Given how nobody is moving any product in the east, this spring should be a great time to bargain shop..
TerpSKI
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Agree with Otto and would add Arcteryx to the mix. My wife just got a pair of Arcteryx Beta AR pants for $150 at Ski Chalet. (The regular price is $325, which is what I paid for them last year). These are bomber pants with 3-layer Goretex XCR, all seams fully taped etc.
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 16, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I've had a pair of North Face Mountain Light pants for about a decade and despite heavy use every ski season, they still look and perform brand new.

I don't think North Face makes the Mountain Light pants anymore, although they still sell the Mountain pants. (At the time I purchased them, they were roughly comparable but the Light model was a bit lighter at the cost of some ruggedness.) They're not cheap (retail for $400) but should last a very long time. I'm particular to the Mountain series, but the North Face makes a whole range of non-baggy ski pants. I think most are just shells, though. But they do a good job of keeping out water and wind, so I usually get by with just sweat pants underneath, or an additional layer of long underwear if it's really cold.
kwillg6
January 16, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I prefer Decente....have a pair I've been in for years and finally broke down an bought a second pair. They are warm, fit snug, and are water resistent. It's hard to find water proof wear unless you go with something which doesn't breathe, and on a warm day , no thanks.
RiverOfBass
January 16, 2007
13 posts
hi all,

thx for the replies. well i went into this season saying i'd shell out for a high end pair (acrteryx, MountainHW, etc), but I just don't think i need that. The Ski Chalet deal listed above, sounds great, however. I have to try it on before buying, at least to get the size. just a pet peeve of mine.

"It's hard to find water proof wear unless you go with something which doesn't breathe," hmmm, this is contrary to what all the labels say???
TerpSKI
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Quote:

hi all,

thx for the replies. well i went into this season saying i'd shell out for a high end pair (acrteryx, MountainHW, etc), but I just don't think i need that. The Ski Chalet deal listed above, sounds great, however. I have to try it on before buying, at least to get the size. just a pet peeve of mine.

"It's hard to find water proof wear unless you go with something which doesn't breathe," hmmm, this is contrary to what all the labels say???

It's also contrary to my experience. If you get pants with Gortex XCR you will find them to be very breatheable and totally water proof. Expensive but worth it.
RiverOfBass
January 16, 2007
13 posts
i'll take a look at it online.

so far the North Face Revolution pants seem OK. I called their store in Tysons and the guy said they mostly have FS type pants- lame.
kennedy
January 16, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
To be honest you might be able to find a pair of 686 Smarty Pants at www.backcountryoutlet.com 686 have pretty good moisture protection, many come with a zip out liner which is very comfortable for cold weather and easily removable for warm weather. In fact the liner has pockets of it's own a looks like gym pants so they can be worn on their own. 686 stuff tends to be cut a little small. I'm 6'2" and wear size 38 jeans and the large size is pretty snug, In fact I'd like more room. The line of the pant is quite slim and clean. 686 back their product up quite well too. I lost a zip through my own fault and they took care of it no problem. Many of their pants are cargo but they keep it quite low key. I've had mine for about 4 years and they're still water proof essentially. My next pair of pants will either be another set of 686, although in XL for roomier fit, or a pair of Section Division.
warren
January 16, 2007
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Bass,
I bought a pair of Patagonia ski pants several years ago and LOVE them. They're Goretex XCR and keep me warm and dry no matter what I did pay around $220.00 for them on sale from $280.00 or something like that.

-Warren-
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I normally budget to purchase two full ski suits per year, including matching gloves, inner fleece, and if necessary, matching helmet. I normally donate the same number of outfits to non-profits every year, in order to keep a good supply in both of my places. Over the years I have tried everything from Columbia, K2, Marmot, Patagonia, to Prada. By the way, I have also ditched both the Columbia and the Prada.

My all-time favorite is the Spyder Vail that is one of their top-of-the-line Legend collection. The Spyder Vail material is a four-way stretch that although is not totally "form fitting", doesn't make you look like you're either wearing pajamas or looking like a Rap-singing gangster. You will look good in that suit if you're reasonably fit. Plus the colors are great. The lining in the new Spyder upscale technical gear (Dermizax) is so good that with only a base layer and the Spyder jacket, you can brave it up the glacier level in Switzerland. The entire Vail outfit, top and bottom, with matching gloves, matching fleece turtle-neck and balaclava, is less than a grand.

I am also sold on Patagonia - literally. Not as flashy as Spyder but it is absolutely the best quality and serious gear. Also easy to match with accessories.
snowcone
January 17, 2007
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
I agree with Lou .. Spyder Vail is unbelievable. I blew my wad last year and got the female equiv jacket [40% off at Back Country]; base layer and jacket really is all you need. Although with the sub zero temps in UT this past week I think you might want to add just a little something more. My other ski jacket is a Spyder I have had for 5 years and it is like brand new.

I have Columbia Titanium, Fera and Spyder pants and I much prefer the Spyder as they seem to be the most water and wind proof. The Columbia are good but don't seem to last as long in Snowshoe rain or spring soggies. The Fera fit beautifully but get 'em wet and it goes right thru, you'll be miserable; those are bluebird pants.

I don't like to plug for any shop but I have been really happy with Back Country Store. Their prices are competitive and sometimes downright dirt cheap and they carry most high end brands.
b2otto2
March 9, 2007
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
I have a ski buddy that bought a pair of DNA pants a couple of years ago when we were in BANFF, Ca. DNA is Decente's snowboarding brand. However my buddy is a skier and these pants in black look down right classy on him. They are very convertible with venting zippers all over them, including a crotch zipper! lol. He just loves them, and he's nearly 60 years old and also on the thin side with a 34 waist.

Brad

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?