Snowshoe 1/2/06
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
ndskier
January 2, 2007
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
56 posts
Snowshoe today was in Fantastic shape on all open terrain. I would say they got 1-2 inches of natural overnight, and they made snow all day today at the summit and on all of the green connector trails which receive the most traffic. I went not expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised. All runs were nicely groomed, they have a nice terrain park building on spruce glades. The only thing that surprised me was the crowds....it was worse than when i was there on Dec 27!. The merging areas were flat out dangerous, but if you stayed on teh steeps, it was very nice. soaring eagle is a great lift, no lines, unfortunately nothing worth skiing is open over there yet. However, it will make the trek to widowmaker much more "worth it" with the short lift ride once the terrain is all open over there. Great day on the mountain! this season isn't dead yet.
TravisR
January 3, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
I saw on their lift reports that they had been blowing the guns on widomaker....how was the base growing as you rode up the new lift?

I asume they were building "whales" with the guns to spread out ....but am wondering?
ndskier
January 4, 2007
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
56 posts
I was expecting to see some whales on widowmaker....unfortunately the only snow on that slope was the 1 inch of natural that had fallen the night before. There is still a good deal of work that needs to be done over there to open new terrain. I had seen on the reports that they were blowing on widowmaker, but they must only be counting the bottom 200 feet or so that runs to the lift. No snowmakign on J Hook either. Still, snowshoe is offering the most terrain in the region right now and it is impressive how much snow they have even if it is limited. hats off to timberline as well for still having a relatively solid base. Looking at the Springs and Wisp webcams is borderline depressing.
MadMonk
January 4, 2007
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I think Widowmaker is one of the more difficult trails to cover when there's a substantial thaw cycle going on during the day because it has a natural drainage that runs down it and eats away at the snow. At least that what it looks like on late spring days when the cover is thinning.
TravisR
January 4, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
The webcams look like they are broadcasting the view in march or early april....Whitetail is extremly depressing....hardly any snow left at all....at least Seven Springs and Wisp are able to stay open.
skier219
January 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
ndskier, this mirrors my experience yesterday (1/3) except it was a day later and a bit warmer for me. All in all, I was very happy with the skiing, despite the crowds.

I think Widowmaker has the potential to become an "all-day" run for me with the new fast lift. When the snow is good over there, it makes for a pretty nice trail. When they develop other trails in the vicinity, it could be fantastic. Another black would be awesome.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.