Almost Heaven (just the way it is)
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
myrto
January 2, 2007
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Coming home from the valley Monday, I dove south on 32 and marveled at the beauty of Mount Port Crayon. I can see why people drool at the thought of skiing it but as bad as the snow in the valley was it was much worse on MPC. As big as that mountain is I don't think you would ever be able to ski the top or bottom 20% which would end up leaving you less verticle than we already have. AND at a terrible cost to the beauty of the environment. We all know about the wind on the top and the difficulty that would cause keeping it covered with man made assisted snow. But the bottom stays well protected and much warmer than the rest of the area. If you combine the natural protection with the fact that it faces the sun all day, I just doubt that it would evr be economically feasable, thus (thankfully IMHO) killing this dream/nightmare before it ever gets off the ground.

Next time you are there (and there is actually snow on the ground) check the difference in natural coverage. It is most definitely substantial.
Mountain Masher
January 2, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I couldn't agree with you more! It's highly unlikely that a ski area will ever be developed on Mt. Port Crayon. However, some of the existing ski areas in WV will probably continue to make improvements and/or expand.
fishnski
January 2, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Forgive them Father..for they know NOT what they speak!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.