Can Rudolph have a heat stroke?
9 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Leo
December 13, 2006
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Anyone else sick of the 65 degree weather? Our 10 day forecast in PA right now has highs of 64 on Dec 18. Terrible, just terrible.
bawalker
December 13, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
No, but I'm on the verge of one. After dealing with 10*F temps at wisp and minus 5 windchills, and now back into the 60s, I feel like it's 100 outside.
jimmy
December 13, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Leo, Rudolph was one of the original cloud skiers so don't worry too much about him he'll be fine. What I want to know is where in North America is there average snow conditions? New England, i don't think so. Pacific NW maybe, how about Utah? Usually when it sucks in the east the west is getting pounded, doesn't seem to be the case this year.
Mountain Masher
December 13, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
And, you want to hear about some really crazy high temps, it might get into the low 70s (next Sun through Tue) in parts of Virginia extending as far North as Stafford. What's worrisome about this weather is that (according to NOAA) Dec was supposed to have normal temps while Jan, Feb and Mar are likely to be ABOVE normal. So far, we know that NOAA blew their forecast of normal temps for Dec. However, should NOAA's forecast of mild weather for Jan, Feb and Mar prove to be accurate, the Winter of 2006-2007 could go down as the most disastrous Winter in history for the mid-Atlantic ski industry. Needless to say, lets hope that NOAA blows their forecast for Jan, Feb and Mar of 2007, otherwise the season is toast at a number of ski areas.
SkiBumMSP
December 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

And, you want to hear about some really crazy high temps, it might get into the low 70s (next Sun through Tue) in parts of Virginia extending as far North as Stafford.

Yup, right here in Good ol' Fredericksburg, it is supposed to be 70's and upper 60's (with a 73 forcasted on Tuesday!). Looks like I'll be going to that Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert in shorts on Friday in Richmond! And this after skiing my first turns just this last weekend at Massanutten (and the conditions where very nice despite the somewhat limited terrain that was available!)
Mountain Masher
December 13, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Fredericksburg is a great town and especially enjoyable when the weather's nice. Now, back to skiing; Massanutten does an incredible job of snowmaking. I would say that Massanutten has the second best snowmaking system in the mid-Atlantic with 7-S being number one. Despite the relatively mild weather there, Massanutten always seems to get the snow down. Unfortunately, they probably won't be able to make much snow over the next couple of weeks.
fishnski
December 14, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Rudolf the burnt crisp reindeer...had a very........anyway, deer Jerky is good! keep hope alive Rudolf..It was sleeting this morn at Snowshoe(low of 31)...NWS Pinpoint(3600') Canaan Vly shows a low of 29 for mon nite,high of 43 tue,25 tue nite, & 44 for high wed..20's wed nite?
Leo
December 14, 2006
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Are they still gunning all at night??
dcmidnight
December 15, 2006
Member since 11/11/2006 🔗
125 posts
Ahk, dont shoot me, but I love the weather. I'm also a golf junky so this kind of weather is perfect for me.

OTOH, my wife and I are heading to Whistler in March and they are getting pounded on by the storm that hit the Pacific NW. 20" dump just last night alone!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.