Experts Choice Quad
10 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 16, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Whitetail began making snow on Expedition, Drop In, and Ridge Runner a few days ago. Over the summer, Whitetail installed new tower-mounted fan guns all along Expedition. These guns will allow Expedition to open much sooner than in the past, and that's the first expert slope they're targeting.

Snowmaking opportunities over the next week or so will be limited to night. Whitetail can probably open Expedition with four or five solid days of snowmaking. With nighttime snowmaking, I'm not sure -- depends on how well it holds the snow during the day. But they've already started blowing snow there, so it might not be too long.

(Anonymous)
December 17, 2003
Anyone wish to guess when this lift and the "Most Difficult" trails at Whitetail will be opening up this season?

I'd like to head up to Whitetail Xmas weekend, but would prefer if this terrain were open. Regardless of natural snow, will Whitetail blow enough on these trails to open this section of the mountain in the next two weeks?

JohnL
December 17, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Whitetail normally opens Bold Decision and Drop-In pretty quickly. Taking a SWAG, I'd guess they'd be open by the day after Xmas at the latest. They'll prolly start making snow on those trails after this upcoming rain event. Exhibition and Far Side typically open much later (depends greatly on the weather).
JohnL
December 17, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Bit of a change in their recent strategy.

Glad to hear about the increase in snow making capability on Exhibition; wish they would add that to Bold Decision. Ungroomed Exhibition is the same level of difficulty as the blues off the high-speed. Opening Exhibition is adding more terrain, but it really isn't opening any advanced terrain.

comprex
December 17, 2003
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

I'm not sure that's warranted for the tail end of the season: Bold Decision keeps snow longer than Exhibition, both with lower exposure and less grooming.
PhysicsMan
December 18, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
As of a few hours ago (ie, 10 PM Wed. night), the scuttlebutt was that they would open the expert pod this weekend.

Tonight, the surface was fast and crunchy, but nicely grip-able (sp?). Other than slickin' it up a bit, the rain we had earlier on Wed didn't seem to visibly hurt things too much.

Tom / PM

PS - After the seemingly interminable hiatus, they were just starting to blow snow once again - Wooohooo!

[This message has been edited by PhysicsMan (edited 12-18-2003).]

jimc
December 19, 2003
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
16 posts
whitetail is opening bold decision and exhibition tomorrow!!!
jimc
December 19, 2003
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
16 posts
make that drop in and exhibition - sorry
JohnL
December 19, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Per Whitetail's website, Exhibition and Drop In are open today (Friday 12/19) and snowmaking is in progress on Bold Decision. They say they plan on opening one more trail tomorrow (Bold Decision?).

Looks like there will be plenty of open terrain (with good conditions) for my first turns of the year this Sunday...

Scott - DCSki Editor
December 19, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I think the trail opening tomorrow (Saturday) is First Tracks. They noted that all lifts will be in operation this weekend, and First Tracks hasn't opened yet -- it's exclusively serviced by their rope tow, so it has to open if the rope tow opens. Could be another few nights of snowmaking before Bold Decision is ready.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?