4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
canaanman
December 14, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
What a joke... Timberline's snow report for this weekend SHOULD HAVE said:

Salamander- Yeah, we made snow on it, of course most of it drifted away.

Dew Drop- Gotcha! We really lied about making ANY snow on this trail. Made you look (and pay for a ticket)!

Silver Streak- Somebody forgot to drop the CLOSED sign (seriously, I confirmed this).

White Lightning- Beginners, there is no beginner trail from the top.

Wow... I'm now convinced that nobody really cares about anything at Timberline. Much like their "snowmaking". As of Friday morning they had a busted pipe leading to the pumphouse. No snowmaking anywhere most of the day Friday... who knows how long its been like that.

And Silver Streak... one closed sign wasn't enough to keep me off of it. Got powder on Friday, ice on Saturday, and about a foot of drifted snow on Sunday morning. When I asked the Ski Patrol (whom I was skiing with down it today) why it wasn't open because of its good coverage, the reply was, "I dunno, It was suppos'd to be open. Guess somebody forgot to drop the sign." That confirmed my thought that they really don't pull tickets there.

New drive on the triple lift? Hmm... must make it run slower. It crawled all day, until I was told loading, "I had 'er on 7, now she's on 8... seemed a little slow." Oh well, atleast they know how to fix that.

No new triple chairs for the Vader, no sign of when they'll be in. Which is both good and bad. On days like today when its 20 degrees, howling wind, and blowing snow, you will really miss that thing.

The halfpipe is filled... finally. I think I saw more snow in that then on Lower Almost Heaven, where they were making snow. Of course, they weren't making snow on it until Friday mid-day. The best comment on that was, "Ya know, it's pretty sad when mother nature's outdoing us."

But I shouldn't complain, I had my wishes filled. I got to ski in fresh powder and got first tracks of the season in many places, such as the lower part of the new glades and lower Silver Streak.

I wish Timberline luck in getting everything opening up soon.

WP_Employee
December 15, 2003
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
Here is a good question for anyone that works at Timberline:

Just how does a resort find the time to close a lift to upgrade it mid-season? Anyone?

Without added water input, compressors, etc. etc. etc. Timberline can add all the guns they want... but there have always been HUGE snowmaking issues at this resort :-\.

canaanman
December 15, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Actually, it's quite simple. They don't run the double during the week... because they don't have to. That's when they will put the new chairs on.

I actually felt bad for those workers who had to dig out snowmaking lines on Salamander on Sunday in the biting cold. I don't envy their job.

WP_Employee
December 16, 2003
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
Aaa i got ya, they don't run that lift during the week? Eh... even so... I am going to wager that these chairs are not put on this season.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.