the canary reports
13 posts
7 users
3k+ views
Roger Z
November 28, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Since I consider Kansas to be something of the canary in the coalmine for what's about to happen on the east coast (take Kansas weather and add two days), here's the latest:

Utah is getting puked on. 17 inches new at Park City, 15 inches at The Canyons, 19 inches at Alta, with potentially a foot or more still on the way. They're talking of (if they haven't already) closing the Eisenhower Tunnel in CO. 14 inches already this morning at Wolf Creek, and the storm hasn't even begun in earnest there.

Speaking of Wolf Creek... apparently the developer of the new Wolf Creek village has ordered the ski area to stop grooming the cross country ski track after 30 years of doing so. More proof that developers are ruining this sport. But I digress.

Anyway, all that weather is moving this way with some force. It was 61 this morning, massive gulf air buildup in front of this front. I have developed a rule of thumb that the warmer the temp in the trough, the more significant the front is going to be. This one is definitely bearing out that rule of thumb. They've posted a winter storm watch here in KC with lows forecasted to drop to 11 by Friday night and highs only in the mid 20s Thursday and Friday.

It looks like, unfortunately, the weather is going to moderate as it moves east, but I checked Davis and there's snow and cold temps forecast for the weekend. Expect a trough of warm air to build ahead followed by a sharp break. Could be good skiing early next week if the lake effect kicks in!
kennedy
November 28, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm hoping thats the case. Looking quickly at what some of the graphics show it looks like DC will se some effect but nothing major but thats fine as long as points north and west get good and cold, oh and a little bit of snow never hurt anyone. I don't know what the forecast is after this but hopefully this is the big shove we need to get the winter machine rocking. I watched Doug Hill's prediction for this coming season, and while usually they do nothing but p*** me off with their chipper attitude to warm weather, this morning they made me happy by saying that this winter would likely be 50% colder and snowier than usual. Sweet if it's true.

Now I just need to go put some new tires on the car.
jimboc
November 29, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2006/11/28/2530545-sun.html

Tue, November 28, 2006

Cold set to snap city recordUPDATED: 2006-11-28 03:57:59 MST

Canada says such low temperatures unusual for this time of year

By TARINA WHITE, CALGARY SUN
Dave Koiter bundles up to take on the task of wiping off his windshield yesterday as more snow fell on Calgary. Strong winds combined with blowing snow and frigid temperatures to create treacherous driving conditions throughout the city. (Stuart Dryden/Calgary sun)
The arctic deep freeze trapping Calgary is on track to break a 110-year-old weather record today, but the bitter cold is expected to ease in the coming days.

With a forecast low of -31C today, Calgary could break the -27C record set on this day in 1896.

But factoring in the wind chill, it will feel even colder to people who have to brave the elements, said Environment Canada meteorologist Ross Macdonald.

"I wouldn't break out the shorts and go sunbathing right now," he joked.
"Bundle up."

The recent frigid weather is a far cry from the city's average late-November temperatures.

Macdonald said the normal daytime high at this time of year is 0C, with a low of -11C.

"The last time it was really this cold in November was about 10 years ago," he said.

"We've hit rock bottom."

It's even been too frosty to ski, with Canada Olympic Park shutting the hill yesterday in the name of safety.
Roger Z
November 29, 2006
2,181 posts
The cold came in quicker than projected. It was 35 this morning when I left for work, it was supposed to be closer to 50 at that time. Now, instead of ice beginning at rush hour they're calling for it to begin maybe by lunch. Last night I left the office in a short sleeve shirt.

One thing about the midwest, you definitely get four distinct seasons. Did I mention it was over 100 barely three months ago? Now we've got a forecasted low of 18 degrees tonight.

Wind seems to be more out of the north than northwest. Could be difficult to get good wrap-around snow in the Apps if the cold front continues to have the same weather developments as it moves east. You never know though! It should at least set up some good snowmaking weather for early Dec.
fishnski
November 29, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Where u at Zski? its snowing in Kansas,,Per Radar...U skiing one of those Hyway overpasses??
Roger Z
November 29, 2006
2,181 posts
It's pure ice at the moment. Those radars are mis-informing.
Crush
November 29, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Z-Man !

OK reality is err it was really dry up until yeasterday and then ......

O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday was so fine at The Canyons I so lucked out just as I get off Saddleback the ski patrol dropped the rope on all the tree runs ... it was two feet of sweet chiba top to bottom and not a whole lot of people hittin' it. I normally don't make a lot of noise when I ski except for a few grunts but I was "waaahoooooo-ing" as I clobbered tons of untracked, unmolested, unbelievable creme'd SNOW.

Only White Truffle Oil or a WMW-threesome is better and that is a toss-up. Errrr... we maybe not on the second item..... but close enough for rock and roll.

And today the sun came out it was 8 degrees but great I'm tired-happy-drunk I hit two big boulders under the snow today so what I don't care it's all good and well bring it on, that feeling is once again mine.
warren
November 30, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Crush,
You dawg! Man... I'm REALLY jealous Anyway, you go get some (pow pow that is )
Shred a couple 'O lines for me

-Warren-
Roger Z
November 30, 2006
2,181 posts
SWEET! Though I don't envy the two boulders you found... I've only got one pair of skis and need to watch out for those kind of, um, guests?

Well, we've got a heavy snow warning here in Kansas City, as much as a foot forecasted to fall by tomorrow morning and an overnight low of NINE degrees. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt less than 48 hours ago! Anyway, like Crush I'm getting ready to break out my skis, too... my cross-country skis!

Ski Kansas!
Roger Z
November 30, 2006
2,181 posts
More KC weather... of interest to almost no one...

it is absolutely beautiful right now and I take back everything bad I said about the weather here in KC this summer! We've got about five inches of snow and building, Colorado dry. Temperature is 16 degrees and going nowhere until Saturday afternoon, when it will warm back up to 40. I'm finally in the Christmas mood.

Wind chill of zero.

langleyskier
November 30, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

More KC weather... of interest to almost no one...

it is absolutely beautiful right now and I take back everything bad I said about the weather here in KC this summer! We've got about five inches of snow and building, Colorado dry. Temperature is 16 degrees and going nowhere until Saturday afternoon, when it will warm back up to 40. I'm finally in the Christmas mood.

Wind chill of zero.

Too bad that this is going to be one of the only times your theory, that "what kansas gets the east coast will get two days later," will be wrong . O well i guess we can wait for our turn. Enjoy the snow!!!
fishnski
December 1, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
The Weather Channel just reported 18 inches at Butler,Ks...Looks like the southern areas of Kansas city got the heavy stuff. 20 inches a year is the Ave there...About the same as DC....Well you moved out of the area Roger & now you've Stole the Snow..You freakin Traitor!
Roger Z
December 1, 2006
2,181 posts
Yeah maybe canary in the coalmine only works in spring and fall, because it was a LOT hotter here last summer, too.

Six inches of snow, give or take, at my house. High of 28 today. Holding off on the X-C skiing so I could come to work this morning. I'm such a goody-too-shoes sometimes.

This storm was extremely picky. Apparently almost nothing fell north of the airport, but south of town as Andy pointed out they got buried. We were right on the northern fringe of the good stuff. But oh is this excellent snow. It doesn't get much dryer and fluffier than what we got. Excellent stuff... happy Dec 1!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?