Kayak Fare Tracker to Resorts
17 posts
9 users
3k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 26, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I created this fare tracker to resorts popular for DCSki forum members. If you do not live in the DC region, change origin from WAS to wherever you live. Also, note that you can change best fare to month of travel--i.e January, February, March, etc.

http://www.kayak.com/h/buzz/view?t=6141&code=
tromano
November 26, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Thanks!
Steve
November 26, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
That's scary! Its cheaper to Denver than to Stowe $139 to Denver roundtrip. Now, will my wife miss me if I run out to the store for a minute for 4 days, hmmmm.
November 27, 2006
1,986 posts
Yeah, Denver is cheaper than Burlington. Go figure. Jet Blue is covered on this tracker but people will still have to check Southwest. Kayak does not sell tickets, it's just a search engine. You buy a ticket by linking to the airline web site.

Feel free to add more cities (up to 25 destinations) to the list or I can add them.

Another interesting feature is fare history. It generates a charting showing lowest fare days for a given month for a given route. I've been using Kayak for some time but not these features.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
queenoftheslopes
November 27, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
This is really cool. Thanks!
hmmm, maybe I should be working instead of plotting my next ski trip.
tromano
November 27, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
The Kayak planner indicates that our next trip will be to Denver instead of VT. $200 RT in January!
queenoftheslopes
November 27, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Or Vermont....to enjoy the east coast before we leave for the other coast
tommo
November 27, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
We booked 7 tickets to CO last week on United - $138.60 roundtrip, non-stop including all fees and taxes in mid January. Absolutely unbelievable!! Honestly, I can't figure out why they are pricing it so low???? We'd have bought the tickets at twice the price and still would've felt like it was a good deal. Go figure.

Combine that with cheap housing on VRBO, and a visit to one of the local supermarkets for discount lift tickets, and the whole trip should be much less than to go to many east coast resorts. If I could just find a cheaper car rental....
November 27, 2006
1,986 posts
I added some more destinations. Here's what I have so far (25 destinations is the limit). I wonder if I should tweek it: add some places and subtract some others. Thoughts?

Rank Destination Nearest City
1 Park City/Canyons/Alta Salt Lake City, Utah
2 Vail Vail, Colorado
3 Tahoe (Reno) Reno, Nevada
4 Tahoe (Sacramento) Sacramento, California
5 Keystone Denver, Colorado
6 Whistler Vancouver, British Columbia
7 Stowe Burlington, Vermont
8 Tremblant Montreal, Quebec
9 Big Mountain Kalispell, Montana
10 Aspen Aspen, Colorado
11 Mammoth Sacramento, California
12 Taos Albuquerque, New Mexico
13 Telluride Telluride, Colorado
14 Steamboat Springs Steamboat Springs, Colorado
15 Jackson Hole Jackson, Wyoming
16 Crested Butte Crested Butte, Colorado
17 Big Sky Bozeman, Montana
18 Mount Baker Seattle, Washington
19 Banff Calgary, Alberta
20 Waterville Valley/Cannon Manchester, New Hampshire
21 Sunday River Portland, Maine
22 Ski Amade Region Munich, Germany
23 Arlberg Zurich, Switzerland
24 Cortina Milan, Italy
25 Trois Vallees Geneva, Switzerland
Roy
November 28, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
John great tool. As far as tweaking, isn't the Aspen and Vail airports the same? Scott can you create a permanent link for this? Just a thought.

Now we need a tool that shows current base conditions all the time.
November 28, 2006
1,986 posts
You are right (Eagle and DIA). I took out Aspen and kept Vail.

I also added Andorra plus some more links for the map pins. I know it sounds crazy to ski Andorra but we had one forum member visit the area (Mangy Marmot). It's also supposed to be very cheap and it has very good connections to DC via Barcelona (DCA-Newark-Barcelona via Continental and DCA-Philadelphia-Barcelona via US Air).
JohnL
November 28, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

As far as tweaking, isn't the Aspen and Vail airports the same?

Nope, different airports. Eagle County is the closest airport to Vail. IIRC, it's about 20 minutes west of Vail/Beaver Creek on I-70. The closest airport to Aspen is Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (in between Snowmass and Aspen.) Driving time between the two airports is around 1.5 hours (maybe a bit less.) Different fare structures and different micro-climates for the two airports (both are subject to frequent closures during the winter.) Both airports are much more $$$ than DIA.

Friend of mine saw Paulie Shore sleeping on the floor in a hallway in Aspen Airport.

Then of course you have DIA, east of Denver.
Chad
November 28, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

We booked 7 tickets to CO last week on United - $138.60 roundtrip, non-stop including all fees and taxes in mid January. Absolutely unbelievable!! Honestly, I can't figure out why they are pricing it so low???? We'd have bought the tickets at twice the price and still would've felt like it was a good deal. Go figure.

Combine that with cheap housing on VRBO, and a visit to one of the local supermarkets for discount lift tickets, and the whole trip should be much less than to go to many east coast resorts. If I could just find a cheaper car rental....

i am looking at those same denver fares now. wow, fly roundtrip to denver from bwi on northwest for $135? amazing. better jump on this.

for car rentals i usually go to hotwire.com. you can get an suv there for less than $50 a day, including the faxes/fees, for the days i am looking at in january.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 28, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Quote:

Quote:

i am looking at those same denver fares now. wow, fly roundtrip to denver from bwi on northwest for $135? amazing. better jump on this.

for car rentals i usually go to hotwire.com. you can get an suv there for less than $50 a day, including the faxes/fees, for the days i am looking at in january.

tommo's sharing some serious ski travel intellegence data here. how did he get nonstops?
Chad
November 28, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

tommo's sharing some serious ski travel intellegence data here. how did he get nonstops?

you can go nonstop on united for just a few more bucks. $144 i believe.

i actually prefer northworst, if i can find a flite. i tend to make alot of trips to slc, and northworst will give me delta skymiles. dont believe that united does.
November 28, 2006
1,986 posts
Quote:

Nope, different airports. Eagle County is the closest airport to Vail. IIRC, it's about 20 minutes west of Vail/Beaver Creek on I-70. The closest airport to Aspen is Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (in between Snowmass and Aspen.) Driving time between the two airports is around 1.5 hours (maybe a bit less.) Different fare structures and different micro-climates for the two airports (both are subject to frequent closures during the winter.) Both airports are much more $$$ than DIA.

Friend of mine saw Paulie Shore sleeping on the floor in a hallway in Aspen Airport.

Then of course you have DIA, east of Denver.

Your right. Made the change. Kayak tends to default to DEN fares because they are the lowest. BTW, Kayak is just a base-line comparison. To get the cheapest fare, erase your cookies, log directly into a target airline at 2 am, and then search.
JohnL
November 29, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
John,

Thanks for setting up the link. Some good comparisons.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.